Treating a large warehouse space for mixing

alx564

Hello Everyone,

I've been hanging around these forums for quite some time now, but I normally just read through topics because I have very little real information to contribute and most questions can be answered using the search.....but I think I finally a question specific enough to warrant a post!

I feel fortunate to be able to have found a large warehouse space where I can make a whole bunch of noise whenever I want (yay!). Unfortunately, the room also happens to sound like a large warehouse space. I would like to one day be able to use this space for mixing and recording. Mixing is my primary concern because I can always go out to a local studio to get some nice recording done, but I like to do my own mixing, in my own space.

I've posted a picture of the space as well as a rough sketch of how the room is currently laid out. It is essentially a 37'x23'x12' rectangle with a little extra nook on the northwest corner. The east and west wall are drywall. The north wall is brick and the south wall is both brick and drywall. The ceiling is exposed wood.

Currently my primary concern is knocking down some of the reverb. The room has a pretty huge reverb to it and I doubt that I could get anything mixed properly in the room because of it. Would making some panels out of OC703 help to take care of this? If so, how many would be necessary and how do you determine placement? Are there better solutions than 703 absorption panels for this situation?

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• CombinedA.png
    CombinedA.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 128
First off, yes, OC703 will bring those reverb times down.

A good idea in a large room like that, especially if you're situated away from most boundaries, would be to use a small amount of panels on stands around the mixing position to keep some of the reverb from coming to your position. To get a bit more specific, it is hard to give generalizations on such a room - I would recommend testing at your mixing position to see what problems you will need to treat. You can use the following program to test your room: Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics

Thanks for the advice GIK. I had considered using some panels on moveable stands to help create a better mixing environment. I realize that I'm probably never going to really get this room in perfect condition, but right now it is pretty rough. I've been rather caught up with a number of other things in my life and haven't sat down and taken the time to analyze the room yet using Room EQ, but I will be doing that shortly. The reverb was mainly on my mind because I can so clearly hear that it will be a problem. Whatever frequency anomalies are discovered by Room EQ I'm sure will be very interesting to try and address. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Back