Thread: Thread: Search for room -> studio installation

Thanks

Cool Thread: Search for room -> studio installation

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

I'm a hip-hop producer based in San Francisco. Please let me know if this isn't the right place for this, or if more information is needed.

Right now I've been working out of a bedroom studio (pictures attached).
    img_5297-jpgimg_7829-jpg

I'm hoping to setup a studio for tracking and mixing in a new (yet to be rented) apartment / loft. I'm hoping to find a space that's private enough that I don't prevent neighbors from sleeping, as well as big enough that I can get resonably good acoustics after treating the space.

The first question I have is whart sort of spaces should I be looking for? I've been focusing on basements/cellars, garages, rooms in lofts in that order. My thoughts being that list goes from most isolated from other people to least.

P.S. I'll try and keep this thread updated with spaces that I've looked at, as well as pictures of the build once I start doing it!

Best,
    Chad

Thanks
    If your music is going to be loud enough to disturb neighbors, then you have to find a place with no neighbors, because soundPROOFing will not be 100% doable.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you have choice, look for a space that you have open walls that can be acoustically treated without limiting space.

You will be best with a room with dimensions that are not even in numbers. Like 8x10x12' is a nightmare for room modes.

Are those the new Adam Monitors?
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    mjbphotos thanks for the reply! I think I'll have to do that then.

To be clear 90% of my time will be low level listening to instrumentals / mixing, but I want to be able to rap as loud as I can (yell) at 1AM and not worry about getting noise complaints. No need for amplified sound though.

What are your thoughts on a loft where I could build a fully enclosed room inside of it. So the sound would have to go through both the room and then the loft walls? (Was going to post an example picture, but I'm still too much of a newbie to be allowed).

Thanks
    jimmys69 - to make sure I understand you open walls are when the walls haven't been covered with drywall or something? So you can see the frame? I've been seeing a few different basements and a lot of them have been like that on the ceiling where I could put a bunch of insulation.

Had heard about multiples in room modes 5 : 10 for instance. Hadn't heard about even room modes. Will keep that in mind. They are ADAM-A7 so no.

Thanks
    A ;room with a room' is not always possible - specially in a loft due to weight loads. You need to build a fully-framed room, hang drywall on the inside, have a 'ceiling' with studs, floating floor, etc.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As someone who has worked in construction the practicalities of 'building something in a loft' are very limited as the one deciding factor is access.

Can you get long enough lengths of timber and board material through your building and then through your loft access?

Then you have as already mentioned the existing construction......will the loft construction support all this weight which does really mount up?

If it were me I think I would look elsewhere with a spare room/garage/garden/basement/cellar to rent and save lots of disappointment and most probably save cash with an easier time of it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Orson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Orson,

Good point about making sure I could get materials in / out of the space properly I hadn't thought about that.

Some of the lofts I'm thinking about are converted warehouses. I'd most likely put the studio portion on the ground floor which as near as I can tell is a concrete slab.

Either way it sounds like the concensus is to find a basement / cellar or a garage as it will be cheaper as I won't to do as much construction (of a floor, ceiling, walls).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chad.newbry View Post
    Hey Orson,

Good point about making sure I could get materials in / out of the space properly I hadn't thought about that.

Some of the lofts I'm thinking about are converted warehouses. I'd most likely put the studio portion on the ground floor which as near as I can tell is a concrete slab.

Either way it sounds like the concensus is to find a basement / cellar or a garage as it will be cheaper as I won't to do as much construction (of a floor, ceiling, walls).
    Yeah and take from me cus I have been there. You have the worse of your options with a loft and building in one is either boiling hot or freezing cold and dirty, dusty, irritating, annoying and you are glad to get out of it when finished.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Orson For This Useful Post:

Thread Information