Tascam 388 Rewind Issues (calling A Reel Person!)

maximumbarkly

Ahoy hoy Homerecording.com,

Here's a brief background story:
Over the last few months I have been somewhere between attempting to procure a Tascam 388, and fixing my Tascam 388. I got mine back in January from a craigslist ad for 300 dollars. The guy said it wasn't working when he put it away years ago, and I'm not afraid of fixing things so I bought it. The heads looked pretty darn good, and the fact that he kept it wrapped in plastic with the original box and manual meant that this thing was coddled pretty steadily.

At first none of the transport functions worked, but after replacing the fuses and the capstan belt it (partially) came to life. Fast forward and playback works, but not rewind. It doesn't seem to stutter or move at all. I recorded a track on it, and the sound exceeds my lofty expectations. I didn't hear any real wow or flutter, which was my next big fear.

So what could be causing this rewind issue? Is my motor shot? I remember reading somewhere on this forum that there could be a transistor to blame. I've included the shout out to A Reel Person because if you search for information on the 388, it almost universally comes from you.

Cheers to all.:drunk:

I've just picked up a 388 myself. At first it wouldn't rewind until it was over halfway through the tape. Ended up having to adjust the position of either the left or right tension arm via a trimmer on the reel PCB. Thats the first thing I would check. I can tell you where these adjustments are located if you don't have a service manual.

Back