Studio Window Advice

Dean Xandersen

Hi friends,

About to start my first build. I'm doing the room within a room sort of thing in a workshop at the rear of my house. I managed to pick these double glazed windows up from a salvage yard and I was wondering if anybody had some advice for me. I've used a plunge router to create a channel for the glass, but what would be a good compound to put in the channel when I secure the glass. I want to stop any air from going through. Silicon? Green glue?

Don't waste you money on the Green Glue...plus, I think it always remains somewhat viscous.

I would just go with 100% Silicone II waterproof caulk adhesive...there's the blue and red tubes. I think only difference is the number of years they guarantee against mold...the blue is 10 the red is , but they are both lifetime (not sure whose life :D).
I kinda find it silly that the difference is so minor on the mold thing that they needed to make two versions...but whatever.
I've used the red one for outdoor seals and it holds up great. I've used it on my roof along trim joints about 5-6 years ago...still looks like the day I put it there.
The other kind of "silicone" caulk that you can wash off with water while it's still wet...that stuff wears out over time if used where water can get at it.

Just keep in mind that if you need to paint the 100% silicone...it won't take paint. You then have to get the paintable kind.

Don't waste you money on the Green Glue...plus, I think it always remains somewhat viscous.

I would just go with 100% Silicone II waterproof caulk adhesive...there's the blue and red tubes. I think only difference is the number of years they guarantee against mold...the blue is 10 the red is , but they are both lifetime (not sure whose life :D).
I kinda find it silly that the difference is so minor on the mold thing that they needed to make two versions...but whatever.
I've used the red one for outdoor seals and it holds up great. I've used it on my roof along trim joints about 5-6 years ago...still looks like the day I put it there.
The other kind of "silicone" caulk that you can wash off with water while it's still wet...that stuff wears out over time if used where water can get at it.

Just keep in mind that if you need to paint the 100% silicone...it won't take paint. You then have to get the paintable kind.

It has struck me in the last few years that S/H FSTVs and very decent cameras are now so cheap you could use a pair to "simulate" a window?

Put the piccies through a router and you could watch 'buggers anywhere in the house!

Dave.

It's more for natural light than anything else, ya can't simulate that!

Mr Miroslav, if the window is behind another window and will never see water is if necessary to use waterproof caulk?

Mr Miroslav, if the window is behind another window and will never see water is if necessary to use waterproof caulk?

Ah! I was thinking a control room/studio fenestration!

Dave.

I was just saying which type of caulk adhesive would do a good job and last. The fact that it is waterproof is a secondary benefit.
There are other types...so find one that meets your needs. Just go to the local hardware store and talk to one of the sales people there. :)

Back