Studio set up on a limited budget

Josh Baesler

I'm in an a cappella quartet and we are purchasing some recording equipment to sent up in the basement of a house we've rented. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to set up some kind isolation booth or some ideas on how to acoustically prepare this room for recording, whithout much, if any, construction. I'm planning on having the console and everything else in the same room and use headphone monitoring. The room 14.7 x 11 feet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Same reply as to dragonworks in another post in this forum - send me details and I'll see what I can do to advise - send to sayers_john@hotmail.com (this isn't spam is it dragon??)
Cheers
John :D

Gobos

No permanent construction, individual panels that you can bring out when you need them. I have a pair of gobos that are just 2 hinged pieces of 3/4" plywood with insulation (covered with fabric) on one side (for absorption) and a laminated material on the other (for reflection). The each panel is about 2'x 7'. Before I had a separate studio room, I used these panel to create a small 'booth' and it was pretty effective in blocking room noise.
Something to think about anyway ... if construction is definitely out ... that's actually why I got them in the first place. Even though I have the control and studio rooms separate now, I still use these gobos when tracking live stuff. They've come in handy.

go to your local denny's and ask for egg cartons. you can useally get a good stack.
Got to giant hard ware store and buy a roll of pergo and attach egg cartons. now hang these things every where.
it will look silly. as well as save a lot of money in foam treatments

Brian's right that egg cartons will do nothing in the way of soundproofing. Some think that they do offer some diffusion characteristics, though ... and I think that's what Charlie was getting at. I don't know if I really believe it or not though ... but then again, I've never been in a studio that ever used egg cartons so I really don't know first hand.
Also, I don't think the issue Josh is having really deals as much with soundproofing as it does with acoustic control.
I do know that a fully stocked bookcase (with different sized books in it) can also act as a good diffusor of sound waves. But it won't absorb anything.
For absorption, you need some kind of mass that will translate the acoustic energy into thermal energy. Foam works really well for high frequency absorption, but not as well for mid to low frequencies. There are some foam products designed to soak up low frequencies that tend to build up in the tetrahedral corners of a room. Those products are expensive, though.
The problem with foam is that it's almost always a permanent addition to the room ... the adhesive used to mount it will ruin the foam if you try to remove it. It's also a significant enough investment to want to take it with you if you ever move. Auralex now markets plexiglass plates that you can mount the foam onto and then secure those to the wall using velcro fasteners. A really great idea ... but I would imagine even more expensive.
I'm extremely budget-minded as well, and I've come up with my own plan for mounting foam in my studio. I've recently ordered some foam with the plan of adhereing it to some poster-board frames (oh about 2'x3' - just the back cardboard piece, though) and then hanging it like a picture. These posterboard frames can be purchased at Target/KMart/WalMart/etc. I don't know how successful that will be ... but it's a plan nonetheless. I'm getting the most cost-effective foam I could find, Markerfoam which is about 80¢/sq ft. Who knows if it's good or not ... but I'm giving it a shot ... it's a $20 leap of faith. :)
But, like I said, you also want to control the mid and low frequencies. I'm still doing research on solutions for that, though. Some good resources are John's site (which I can't remember the url offhand for ... but check some older posts in this forum for it) and auralex.com (they have a great "Acoustics 101" pdf). Both will give you a better understanding of acoustics in general and maybe some ideas on how you can make something of your own that will be effective.

I have left only topic related stuff...
I play folk music, any thing more than Guitar, Bass, and vocals is useally midi. I am not attempting to create a sound proof enviroment. I just need to diffuss bass and slap back. My long term goal is to use pro foam diffussers, but until I am able to afford that, I look for alternative means.
2 layers of carpet, throw pillows, futon matresses, and yes, egg cartons. I will put my egg cartons up against any hard wood floor and dry wall room any day of the week.
I do a lot of garbage picking and garage sales. Use your imagination and expiriment.

[Edited by Charlie Mosbrook on 08-31-2000 at 09:24]

Ok, for some reason this post got REALLY screwed up... Damnit, and it was a good post. Oh well.

The basic idea of the post was this...

Just because it's Home Recording, that doesn't mean you have to settle for crap. There are many creative ways to use good materials... even if you are renting a place. It all just really depends on what you're up to doing, because everything you want to do will pretty much be a fairly large project.

[Edited by Brian Grey on 09-08-2000 at 06:44]

I don't mind sarcrificing a little studio quality for unlimited time to be sure the performance was right.
I rent , so it is difficult to customize this place.
I am furtonate that my girl friend loves to record. She dosent mind the egg carton studio. She says it deadens her trombone.
Peace

Back