Studio problem - space!!

mjbphotos

My 'studio' is also my general computer room, file storage, instrument storage, and dog-laying-around room. It's about11'2" x 10'4", carpeted, oak-wall paneled, drop-ceiling, and has a dining room buffet, and steam radiator (covered) with cabinet above, 2 windows, 3 door openings (only 1 with a door), plus my computer desk, a file cabinet, bookshelves on 2 walls at head height and above, a 5-ft tall open cabinet I built to house all my guitars in 1 place (with another double shelf on top of it filled with DVDs!), plus the rest of my equipment - small amps, mixer, mic stands, cables, etc.

Now the band has broken up, that means my 2-tier keyboard stand, 2 keyboards, another amp (2x12), amp stand, another mic stand, 5-guitar stand all need to get fit in somehow.

Acoustic treatment? HAH!! :laughings: I'll be lucky to be able to fit my desk chair in there!

Second keyboard will go up on CL soon, probably the Behr 2x12 amp, and guitar stand, too. (all recent acquisitions particularly for the band.)
Selling the house for a bigger one is not an option in today's market!
Selling the wife would only work if the 2 cats and pet rabbit went with her to free up the spare bedroom! :spank:

Extra stuff - guitar stands, cables, pedalboard, amp stand, mic stand in the basement. Extra keyboard, amp and in-ear system go up on craigslist this week. Half the room is organized, at least - took all day to move everything out, and rewire everything so there wasn't such a spaghetti jungle! Still have to set things up when I want to record, but at least I can get to them.

studio02786.JPG

Step One - move the monitoring station out of the corner.
I recently did a rearrangement of my room - similarly cluttered with "other" stuff.
I arranged the bookshelves, loaded with books, as diffusers, put the amp heads in a stack (R side of room) & the bottom one up on a crate to reduce bend over/back issues & the speaker cabs away from them (left side) to reduce feedback & noise when recording or fiddling with amp settings.
The only thing I haven't found a place for is the keyboard - it's vertical & against a cab at present.
I actually don't have enough space for bass traps - the corners are full of stuff. I have to do something about that.

You might be able to tell that the desk is now about 16" out of the corner (file cabinet has computer and printer on it) - before it was against the corner, and the bass would sometimes really bounce around under the book shelf. Swapping everything left-to-right might be a little better sound-wise, but, it would make the keyboard crammed into the corner, no easy access to the space behind the stand for amps, etc.
The picture is how things 'ended up' after my intial post. What you don't see is the opposite wall with everything piled together!

Back