Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Studio Pics

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    that's damn good advise. The spring on my single unit double width door broke during the Snowpocalypse of 2011. We got the last car in and WHAM. The door came down like a ton of bricks, which it actually weighs close to. I don't know which was louder, the spring breaking or the door hitting the floor. I know a bit about physics and mechanics and it didn't really dawn on me until I saw them working on that replacement that it's the spring that does the heavy lifting, not the door opener mechanism.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Oh, I should add a note about the garage door springs--just for public safety. Don't try this at home unless you know what you're doing. I'd advise calling a garage door company or getting a friend with some knowledge of how this works. Otherwise, you're playing a dangerous game of slinky and Russian Roulette.
    My spring broke a year or so back. It was the split spring kind so one side was still coiled. I'm a DIYer, so I hopped on YouTube to learn how to fix it myself. All the videos gave a warning to hire someone, I saw that as a sign. (yeah, I'm smart like that. )

The guy came in with special tools to make it easy. Knocked the job out in like 10 minutes, charged me $250. He probably spent 30 minutes on the job, total, including drive time. That's some pretty good money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    My spring broke a year or so back. It was the split spring kind so one side was still coiled. I'm a DIYer, so I hopped on YouTube to learn how to fix it myself. All the videos gave a warning to hire someone, I saw that as a sign. (yeah, I'm smart like that. )

The guy came in with special tools to make it easy. Knocked the job out in like 10 minutes, charged me $250. He probably spent 30 minutes on the job, total, including drive time. That's some pretty good money.
    I'd get into the door spring business myself, but I'm no spring chicken.

It's amazing just how many things there are that will kill or seriously injure you--all without ever leaving your own home. Of course, I'm living in the middle of my own insulated coffin. So I'm not that wise. And I can't even begin to think about the fire risk. My garage is like the Triangle Shirt factory or perhaps a warehouse full of 1950's children's pajamas.

Thread Information