Studio Pics

Just a late night observation; this looks really cool. But where did you come up with the ideas for room treatment for your room? I see some acoustic treatment things here that I have never been recommended to do for a space like this.

Why the wall of stuff behind your monitors? What are those monitors? What is your dog's name?

:)

Believe it or not, a lot of the stuff in there is very basic, including the corner traps, panels at the first reflection points (which are obscured by the curtains), and the cloud. There are a few oddities that are room specific, like filling the window well. Some things are also experimental (like the cubes) or driven purely by room sounds. The large traps behind the monitors were placed there because I was having some serious low end build up at that precise point. They started out as part of a rear wall trapping scheme, but were moved and tested in the current position. They worked, it helped, so they stayed.

I should also point out that this is a square room. Square rooms, I believe, are atypical and require special types of treatments not necessarily associated with your standard room. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of treatment advice out there pertaining only to the square room. Most people just say it's bad, move on, or tell you to build a partition wall. The discussions that I have seen, tend to focus on extensive rear wall treatment, which explains some of the oddities you see.

They are old Event PS6's. They date back to 2003 and they are on the way out. Hopefully, the new ones won't cause me to redecorate :D

What do you have planned for upgrade?

And by the way, it is great to hear back from you and Scout! :)

In session so will respond further with more blah blah.

:listeningmusic:

What do you have planned for upgrade?

And by the way, it is great to hear back from you and Scout! :)

In session so will respond further with more blah blah.

:listeningmusic:

I've been looking at the Adam A7x. I promised myself something nice after spending the year in insulation, fabric and wood. :D

I friggen love mine! Total game changer with mixes translating with the A7x's.

I just got a pair as well. Great monitors. They're so new that I haven't even had a chance to mix on them yet. Just a lot of listening to reference material so far.

I lovingly refer to the ceiling cloud as the Death Cloud, since it will probably fall and kill me. It's attached to the ceiling joists with heavy duty d-rings, 3 inch spring clips and heavy-duty screw eyes into cleats. But, still, I live in fear. :D after all, the middle section of the cloud is composed of doubled up 2" panels and they are heavy--around 30 lbs each. The old version of the studio had a bunch of two inch panels which were pretty useless. So, viola, I bundled them using metal braces to form proper bass traps

I busted out laughing at the Death Cloud. We had a local restaurant that had some sort of cloud thing (don't think it was meant to be acoustic treatment but I will say the place needed it big time) that fell during lunch hour and unfortunately there were injuries. I always think of that when i read (or watch) about people talking about acoustic treatment and say 'ceiling cloud'.

here in NH a garage as a studio would probably only be good a few months a year and then you'd need a/c. no rest for the wicked I guess. I like your studio. Being rather severely challenged in the vision area (one eye, severe glaucoma, extra tunnel vision due to distance bias cataract implant in the surviving eye) I need light and lots of it. I used to love dark cozy places but not being able to see they don't endear themselves to me as much anymore. I would probably be using light colored fabrics.

What kind of door did the garage have, an overhead door? Did you remove it and fill the wall? Forgive me if you said it already.

What kind of door did the garage have, an overhead door? Did you remove it and fill the wall? Forgive me if you said it already.

The garage door was your typical two door electric overhead with tracks and some pretty serious springs. I took the tracks and the opening system down several years ago. I left the garage door in place but I had to reinforce it. I live in a hurricane-invested backwater, and I've been through at least three direct hits over the past 25 years. So I'm pretty vigilant about storm prep. After the door was reinforced, I added studs, standard insulation, soundboard, and drywall. I suppose I could have added mass loaded vinyl along with two layers of drywall to help further isolate the interior. But I didn't feel like going the extra mile. Besides, the other three walls were not similarly treated, and I'm fairly immune to noise outside the house.

Oh, I should add a note about the garage door springs--just for public safety. Don't try this at home unless you know what you're doing. I'd advise calling a garage door company or getting a friend with some knowledge of how this works. Otherwise, you're playing a dangerous game of slinky and Russian Roulette. :D

that's damn good advise. The spring on my single unit double width door broke during the Snowpocalypse of 2011. We got the last car in and WHAM. The door came down like a ton of bricks, which it actually weighs close to. I don't know which was louder, the spring breaking or the door hitting the floor. I know a bit about physics and mechanics and it didn't really dawn on me until I saw them working on that replacement that it's the spring that does the heavy lifting, not the door opener mechanism.

Oh, I should add a note about the garage door springs--just for public safety. Don't try this at home unless you know what you're doing. I'd advise calling a garage door company or getting a friend with some knowledge of how this works. Otherwise, you're playing a dangerous game of slinky and Russian Roulette. :D

My spring broke a year or so back. It was the split spring kind so one side was still coiled. I'm a DIYer, so I hopped on YouTube to learn how to fix it myself. All the videos gave a warning to hire someone, I saw that as a sign. (yeah, I'm smart like that. :rolleyes:)

The guy came in with special tools to make it easy. Knocked the job out in like 10 minutes, charged me $250. He probably spent 30 minutes on the job, total, including drive time. That's some pretty good money.

My spring broke a year or so back. It was the split spring kind so one side was still coiled. I'm a DIYer, so I hopped on YouTube to learn how to fix it myself. All the videos gave a warning to hire someone, I saw that as a sign. (yeah, I'm smart like that. :rolleyes:)

The guy came in with special tools to make it easy. Knocked the job out in like 10 minutes, charged me $250. He probably spent 30 minutes on the job, total, including drive time. That's some pretty good money.

I'd get into the door spring business myself, but I'm no spring chicken. :D

It's amazing just how many things there are that will kill or seriously injure you--all without ever leaving your own home. Of course, I'm living in the middle of my own insulated coffin. So I'm not that wise. And I can't even begin to think about the fire risk. My garage is like the Triangle Shirt factory or perhaps a warehouse full of 1950's children's pajamas.

Back