Studio monitors for an acoustic Singer/Songwritter??

nbryant2

I am very very new at home recording so I need some help with very simple question
I have a USB audio interface that i'm using with a computer and headphones.

I am looking for some monitors to go with it.
What should I go with since I am mixing Simply acoustic guitar, maybe some acoustic guitar accompany and vocals. That is all.

I don't really understand the language I am reading about monitors but from what i can gather it seems that I just need some Near-field monitors. I'm only looking to spend up to 200$...and want Active (self powered) monitors so i don't have to use an amp.

I simply want to make a simple demo using vocals and acoustic guitar .. no drums ect..

Can anyone help me ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
You really want an 8" woofer for making sure the acoustic isnt too boomy...look for some used ones and do get the best you can afford...too many here make the mistake of buying brand new monitors that arent very good in the first place...remember a set that is tested and actually used in real studios is alot better than a brand new piece of shit that isnt used by anyone outside a home studio...because if they were worth trusting real engineers would be using them.

Theres allways good ones on Craigslist and Pawnshops...you would be suprised how often they are confused for bookshelf speakers so some of the good stuff is out there cheap.

any particular brand to look for or maybe model? I don't wanna pay for features I don't need since i'm only doing acousic and vocals.

Mackie...Yamaha...JBL...aim high like that...if you see a model...google it and check how many studio websites come up with them on equipment lists...that is a good barometer for all gear...it means that its chosen by those who know what is good.

Back