studio equipment help

splitvocal1

hi everyone, im looking at getting into home recording, im in a band and we dont get together to often so its going to be easier to record at home and email the files to each other to keep the ball rolling.

Ive been given a copy of cubase and i have a echo layla 3g, all given to me by an old friend. but if these are a load of rubbish im happy to start from scratch,

but the rest i want to start from scratch, ie mac or pc, not bothered which just one that will work with the above. monitors, mics, all of this i know not to much about.

the computer i get will be dedicated to solely music recording and the web for sending the files between the band

any help would be greatly appreciated,

been going around in circles looking for the the right setup, so much to choose from, and the guys in the shop just seem to point me towards the most expensive stuff, undersatandable as their sales people

anyway thanks

and merry christmas

The monitors (and the PROPER treatment of the space they're in) are the big ones -- Everything else is negotiable to some extent.

Assuming the Cubase is "kosher" (as in, you have a license, etc.) there's nothing wrong with it. If it's an older version, you might try Reaper -- Uncrippled shareware, very capable. Mac or PC. The software side of things is a whole bunch of different flavors of vanilla until you get into more specialized programs. But if there's something you can't do with Reaper, you probably don't need to do it.

Congrats on getting into recording! Heres the deal man, I would strongly urge you to check out both homestudiocorner.com and therecordingrevolution.com. Also check out the videos on therecordingrevolution youtube channel. Graham Cochrane who runs recordingrevolution has a free ebook on his site that tells you everything you need to get started. That said I would recommend you go with a mac for the reason that they are easier to set up with recording software. I am saying this as a current Pro Tools owner on PC. I had to learn a whole lot about my computer to get it to work best and that is something that could kill your recording buzz! lol. Also you will need an external hard drive to record on. It MUST be a 7200 rpm hard drive! Anything less will cause glitches while recording. Also look at getting an internal 7200rpm hard drive for your software to run on. Also you are going to want a $100 condenser mic to start. Good recommendations are the akg perception 120, or honestly any $100 range mic. Honestly man check out therecordingrevolution.com and download his ebook and that will help you out and put you on the right direction! Remember you don't need a ton of expensive gear to get started or even make good recordings, just the right gear! Good Luck bro!

Search Engine here too

Dont forget to use the search engine on this site as well.
In fact, consider it as your first option whenever you log on here.
:thumbs up:

Back