Studio desk

DJNV

Hey every1 I'm in the market for a new desk and was wondering if anyone had any tips or can recommend something I'm looking to pay around 300 at most and my studio is a a corner of my bed room can't wait to c what ya got guys

There are a few at Musicians Friend, you may also check out Business Depot and the like, or even Craig's list or something like that for computer desks. I got my computer desk for free, my ex's neighbour had it in their garage and were going to throw it out. I had to take it apart and put it together again to move it, but generally desks come as kits anyway. My desk is huge, similar to the one shown, but with the keyboard slide (Zoom R16 goes on that nicely) and 2 additional elevated shelves, prolly for a printer and fax, perfect for speakers. Be worth a look, you can some great deals on used furniture.

the studio rta desk at MF is a good deal. If you have the time/patience, building your own can be a VERY cheap alternative.

I ended up purchasing two sheets of plywood - $30 and made a custom workstation 6.5' wide x 30" deep (you can customize your own desk to fit your own needs).

Plus, rack space rails can be puchased on ebay for $10 should you want rack space on your desk.

photo(4).jpg

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 393
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 381
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 385
I built mine as well although I used laminate plywood so it was a little bit more (but still way under 300, it was a little over 200 to build this thing rack rail hardware, stain etc... included):
l_b1947c296a684a9fb82730df10095618.jpg

You can fit an 88 key controller on the surface of this thing (it's pretty wide).

The plans can be found here if interested:
Recording Studio Workstation & Rack Plans

thanks man!!

to be honest, i can't really remember. I've a feeling the one sheet was around £60 or something?

nearly cost us double cos the guy at the shop cut the wrong sheet and then claimed that i had 'changed my mind' :P

The rest (timber framing) was just made from scrap 2 x 4s that were destined for the wood burning stove :)

Had to buy a roll of iron on laminate for all the edges too, but it was only a few quid.

Those chrome legs were only temporary btw.. it's actually a 'floating' design.

Unless you need a custom design I'd still look at thrift stores and the local ads for a used computer desk. Lots of people move and would rather give something away than take it to the dump. Maybe cause I'm a lazy bastard I just think free and pre made is better than 30 bucks and make it yourself.

as much as i love my 'recessed goodies' i have to agree. There are buckloads of free desks in the classifieds where i live..

although,,,how many desks do you get to the bucket?!?

hmm..you know what i mean.

Thanks for input guys I think I'm ganna make my own I've been thinking about it and it seems like it could b fun and I've came up with something I haven't seen in a desk yet that might b very useful :)

Thanks for input guys I think I'm ganna make my own I've been thinking about it and it seems like it could b fun and I've came up with something I haven't seen in a desk yet that might b very useful :)

Would that be a beer cooler?

Back