studio construction: plz help

I have been reading through this thread and have a few questions. First of all, I have a space which is 250 sq ft and am building a studio in this space (it is a commercial space and used specifically for musicians.) I would like to build a 6x8x8 isolation booth for vocals only. The room dimensions are 10 x 25 with a 10 ft ceiling . I would draw a diagram but it is pretty easy to explain: upon walking through the door, it is 25' to the back wall, which is concrete. The rest of the room is empty with a concrete floor. The right-side wall has already been framed as well as the wall which the main door is on. The left side wall only has plywood, there has been no other building done to it. Basically it is a blank canvas to work with.

I am planning to build the booth with a raised floor and a window so that the vocalist can see the engineer and vice versa. Since the space is not very big, the rest of the room will be the "control room." I am working on a tight budget for now, no more than $1000 to build the booth. My main focus (obviously) is on the isolation booth which is the only thing that NEEDS to be finished ASAP so that we can start recording. The rest of the space will be built out as time and $ allow.

My questions are as follows:

a) what would be the best positioning of the booth within the room to ensure maximum soundproofing?
b) I have read that the booth should be about 6 degrees from parallel with the wall but which wall would be best to build the booth parallel to?
c) I have already purchased 20 pieces of 16' 2 x 4 lumber to frame and was only planning on single walls and not double framed, is this ok for the scope of this project?
d) What would be the proper position of the door leading to the booth? Do I need to have another small area/door leading into the booth to ensure maximum soundproofing?
e) What would be the best materials for the ceiling?

I am not as concerned with the noise within the room as I am with the noise inside the booth as there are other studios with live music being played at times (not often, but maybe a couple times per week.) I would like to build this studio as professional as possible as I would like to be able to run recording sessions for other artists eventually (to help pay for the overhead, which is not very much) so the booth should leave room to be able to build around/soundproof it in the near future. I am doing it myself (with a friend who is very good at framing) and plan to use roxul insulation (and perhaps Styrofoam between the joists) with the first layer of drywall on the inside being regular sheetrock and with a 2nd layer of Quietrock. The outside I would use 2 layers of regular sheetrock.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 3D illustrations which Chronicle has provided for our OP and was wondering if someone could provide me with similar illustrations for what I am looking to do, including the placement of the desk in relation to the isolation booth. Again, the most important thing is the soundproofing of the isolation booth. Once we have clean vocals then I can always mix the tracks at another location if there is too much outside noise to be able to do it in this space. I am open to suggestions in terms of dimensions/shape of the booth and more than likely would use whatever is suggested. I'm sure you all will need more information from me so please do not hesitate to ask and I will get the information before posting again. Thank you all in advance, this is an undertaking which I wish could be done by a professional but alas finances will not allow such a project at this juncture. I have attached 2 pictures which should what I am truly working with.20131204_204308.jpg20131204_204316.jpg

How are you planning on making this 'booth' soundproof? How are you going to treat the interior walls so it doesn't sound like the vocalist is in a small plywood box? I don't think you quite understand what you're trying to do - you need to do some serious reading first, and don't rush into things.

Nomad,

We'll be here. :)

Steve, perhaps you should start a new thread?
- I also recommend that you plan before you go building stuff. My friend Andre Vare's signature line is, "Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction".. it is very true. By the way, what is that foam stuff on the walls in your photo? It looks like closed cell stuff that we have used for packaging... If it is, it is completely useless for acoustics.

Cheers,
John

fellas,
plz help me figure out what is the best option for the ceiling:

the current height is 8'2" and 10cm thick
i really don't want to lose the 8'. this is what i am thinking: add more mass to it. 2" plaster under the poured concrete and 4" on top of it. i would end up with 10".
how much STL would this achieve? (i am going to be recording and practicing drums here as well. so i want to reduce the sound travelling up to the people living upstairs as much as possible.)

or i could leave the 8'2" as it is and build a framed ceiling with maybe 2 layers of 1/2" drywall under it with greenglue inbetween the drywall sheets.

plz suggest... or maybe if you guys have other options, i'd really be grateful

Nomad,

Acoustics/Isolation: If you want to increase the sound transmission loss of a partition by 5 dB (real world), you MUST double the mass.

In other words; to add 5 dB transmission loss to your current ceiling you will need to add 10 cm of the same type concrete to the ceiling. (not practical or efficient).
Practical sound-proofing would be to add a decoupled partition under the current ceiling.

OR

move.

OR just deal with it as it is.

Cheers,
John

Back