Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: studio construction: plz help

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Nice Rick!

But I wouldn't put the horizontal slats in the rear.. it needs to be fully absorbent - therefore, I'd make it at least 20 cm deep and he's going to need some limp membrane traps for LF control below 100 Hz. - And just make the ceiling FLAT to the bottom of the beams with full absorption - preferably 25 mm rock wool (60kg/m3) with light-weight fiberglass on top to fill the rest of the ceiling cavity. Front and side walls need serious consideration as well. Remember - cement bunker.

Cheers,
    John

PS. Rick, could you attach the .skp?
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

Thanks
    wow!!!!!
    thank you..

tell me about the rear wall

Thanks
    Nomad,

Good trapping on the back wall is what you will need, especially in a concrete room. You WILL need to build some membrane traps to handle the LF below 100 Hz. I have detailed plans in my acoustics package - Sorry I can't show them here in public, as they are rather unique - they are NOT VPRs or metal on foam. What you will need is a true 'limp-bag' absorber.

Think about trapping that rear wall very well - as much as you can afford. This will affect everything that you do in that room. Most room problems are caused from poorly treated rear walls and/or the positioning of the speakers relative to the front wall.

Cheers,
    John
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

Thanks
    mr. Brandt,
    do the membrane traps go on the corners? or should they cover a major part of the rear wall?
    thanks

Thanks
    i recently found a company that manufactures gypsum board here i was wondering what if we were to cover the four walls with gypsum board, and in the gap between the brick wall and drywall use a layer of rockwool slab. would that make the room less reflective as compared to bare concrete?

Thanks
    Nomad,

The membrane traps should go wherever you can put them. Corners; definitely. along walls, yes.

Gypsum board is the same as drywall and is basically just as reflective as CONCRETE! - except below 100 Hz. What you need is to us rock wool / glass wool and fabric to make the interior studio walls. This will give you the trapping and reflection control that you need.

Cheers,
    John

Thanks
    mr Brandt,

are you suggesting to treat the four walls the same as the ceiling?
    25mm rockwool slab and 11" fiberglass insulation.. could i chose rockwool or higher density and thickness?
    i recently read that fiberglass causes irritation while breathing, is there a special kind of fabric that i should use to cover it? how does one seal the edges of fabric anyway?

i am realizing that this is going to be pretty expensive, so i am thinking of moving the jam room inside the control room. what do you think?
    or is it a bad idea? could i use membrane traps to avoid reflections caused by the drums and amplifiers?

is my room too small to accomodate both? as i mentioned earlier: 8, 15, 21'
    if i were to increase the length further, that would really mess up the modes of the room.
    also i am looking out for solid concrete bricks about 8" wide, would that provide enough soundproofing along with the rockwool and fiberglass not to annoy the neighbours?

is placing a door on the front wall or rear wall an absolute no? what if i were to lose the window on the front wall, i am thinking a building a closet behind the front/ rear wall to store gear while mixing.

what about that bare beam, should i cover that too with rockwool and fiberglass?

we're starting wall construction about a week from now, so please don't give up on me yet
    Last edited by nomadbyfate; 12-12-2013 at 16:18.

Thanks
    Thank you...
    Last edited by nomadbyfate; 12-12-2013 at 16:19.

Thanks
    we're starting wall construction about a week from now, so please don't give up on me yet
    Give up? Goddamnit, what the heck do you think we are here for? You just need to learn some patience. ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cc2-rear-wall-prototype-front-elevation-vertical-section-jpg   cc2-rear-wall-prototype-rear-elevation-vertical-section-jpg   cc2-rear-wall-prototype-right-longit-section-jpg  
    Chronicle Axiom-Whatís the crime of robbing a bank, compared to the crime of starting one?

Thanks
    That is like studio building p**n!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information