Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Studio Building-If you had to do it all over again...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    We have a big 2 car garage and one car. I do vocal (spoken word) audio only and was thinking of partitioning off on corner for my simple setup. But then I was at Home Depot and spotted a snap/bolt together resin shed, pretty good size, for $500 with a door, vents, etc. I am considering placing it inside the garage and doing sound treatments. Power gets in via extension cord. The bonus is that if we sell the house and move, I simply take it down and take it with me. Just an idea.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by radi0j0hn View Post
    We have a big 2 car garage and one car. I do vocal (spoken word) audio only and was thinking of partitioning off on corner for my simple setup. But then I was at Home Depot and spotted a snap/bolt together resin shed, pretty good size, for $500 with a door, vents, etc. I am considering placing it inside the garage and doing sound treatments. Power gets in via extension cord. The bonus is that if we sell the house and move, I simply take it down and take it with me. Just an idea.....
    That sounds a little tight for general recording. But if you are just building a vocal booth, it might work. I'm not sure, though, that the resin shed will give you too much isolation from outside noise. It also might pose problems if you try to add treatments. You are basically walling yourself off without too much benefit. And creating ventilation and lighting issues.

If you can't record elsewhere in the house, consider a vocal booth instead of the shed. There are plenty of DIY designs out there. You could also build a small temporary partition wall that would create work space. And I would look into a good dynamic mic for voiceover work. Something like a Shure SM7b which would limit background sounds.

Thanks
    If I had it to do all over again, I'd become a Dentist or Chiropractor or something. Better return on my investment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastedgoat View Post
    If I had it to do all over again, I'd become a Dentist or Chiropractor or something. Better return on my investment.
    Chiropractors don't get a lot of respect and dentists are universally hated--even more than studio engineers.

I might opt for Guru, Cult Leader, or something in the financial sector. The best way to make money is by investing it. It also takes the least physical effort. And you can do your part to insure multi-generational income inequality.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Chiropractors don't get a lot of respect and dentists are universally hated--even more than studio engineers.

I might opt for Guru, Cult Leader, or something in the financial sector. The best way to make money is by investing it. It also takes the least physical effort. And you can do your part to insure multi-generational income inequality.
    Just my luck, making bad choices again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastedgoat View Post
    Just my luck, making bad choices again.
    Other that costly equipment, it's easy to reverse a studio build. You just need to find some place to stick all that fabric and insulation. When I finally get out, my 703 and R-30 goes straight to the attic. As for the fabric...I'm buying my wife a sewing machine. I have no problem wearing my bass traps because they're all charcoal and it matches everything.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwillis45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wouldn't have freaked myself out so much about it. I spent weeks reading articles, and watching videos about acoustic treatment, equipment, and excruciatingly detailed tutorials about the molecular makeup of every piece of material in your studio and in the end, these 2 things were the most important:

1) mix and master on multiple speakers/headphones: I used 2 sets of earbuds, 3 sets of closed/open headphones, 2 Bluetooth speakers, both cars, my Sonos, built-in computer speakers, iPhone/iPad speakers and of course my Rokit monitors.

The lesson being, learn how your room sounds because while treatment is important, you will never have a perfect listening environment.

2) make it somewhere you love to hang out in. My first iteration, I worried about optimizing the space since my room was tiny (9 x 11-ish) and I got to the point where I just hated sitting in that room. When I re-did it, I spent very little money but focused on aesthetics more than the first time around.

Thread Information