Studio Build Documentation

I've only just realised how light, airy and spacious it is. Usually I see big spaces, that really shrink once the internals are finished and yours dosn't seem to have shrunk much at all.Nice project.

Even the pictures don't fully convey the size and openness of the space...I need a real wide-angle lens to capture it all.
It will "shrink" a bit when it is all full of equipment and I still need to put up acoustic panels...but it won't change it much.

The height of the ceiling is a factor...and my design choice to install the wood panels and run them all the way up, underscores that height. When it was just a painted room, it felt smaller since all the white didn't have any defining lines. That was one aesthetic reason for adding the panels...but they also help alter the sound quality to some degree over the plain drywall...though when the acoustic panels go in, along with the gear and furniture, etc...that will have a major impact on the sound...but my gear layout will still maintain the wide open space.

Looking good! You did the floor yourself? Floor work is backbreaking, I learned from doing rooms in my house. Knees suffer, too.

Not entirely by myself. I worked with another contractor (not the one who did the overall construction)...who is the same guy that did my hardwood in the entire top floor of my house this past summer...and just like during the summer, the two of use worked together on both floor installations.
He did the cutting when necessary at the ends and perimeter, and all the nailing...though using the flooring nail gun isn't all that complicated once you use it a few times, but I let him do all that, since he's installed many floors before.

My job was to prep the floor, then lay down the underlayment and get it stapled in place...and then I worked ahead of him laying out the planks and the pattern, since you have to watch where the seams go and all that...and there needs to be a good number of rows ready, ahead of the nailing...that way it just goes like an assembly line once we have a nice rhythm going. You can see in the second picture both the underlayment and how there is a section prepped and ready, ahead of the actual nailing.
So both of us were hunched over for two and a half days, and a lot of knee wear, because you either stand hunched, which kills your back, or you kneel.
Suffice it to say that I am totally beat up and sore today...but it's done. :)

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments! :)

Right now...I'm working all weekend trying to finish up some window/door/floor trim before my final inspection on Monday...but just a couple of hours back, our Governor issued a "New York on PAUSE" executive order...with 100% Closure of Non-Essential Businesses Statewide beginning Sunday at 8PM, and all non-essential gatherings of any size.
So I'm not sure if that will apply to my town offices, which were still working, just not open to any public.
I have an appointment for Monday afternoon for my inspection...not sure now if it will happen now. There is really no social interaction involved with the inspection...but I wouldn't be surprised the town shut down, and the staff will be happy to get paid to stay home.

I'm sure I'll find out on Monday morning...if I get a call to cancel or not.
If I don't get the inspection...I'm going to be set back at least another month or more... :facepalm:
I don't mean to sound selfish about that...like my inspection is important...it's just that with having to stay home, it really wouldn't bother me, since I would be working on getting my studio setup, etc...but if I don't get the inspection, technically I can't move in until I do.

Pulling an all-nighter trying to finish things up...:yawn:...been going at it since about 2PM Sunday, and will continue through the night/morning until I'm done, in anticipation of my final building still happening Monday afternoon. It doesn't look super promising...we have a statewide shutdown of all non-essential businesses, so I don't know if that includes the local governments, and my town clerk and building inspector...plus, to make it even less promising, we have a winter storm heading in, so by Monday afternoon, there will be a good 3" and steady snow.

I'm trying to finish all my trim work...since I won't pass inspection if the trim is at least no up...so today, tonight, this morning, I went ahead and painted most of it, and I still have a small bunch of baseboard trim that gets stained. I spent the last couple of days measuring and cutting it.
I should have the stain done by about 4AM...and then I'll start attaching the trim to the doors, windows and walls. I have a couple of different air nail guns, so it should go pretty easy...I just hope I don't wake up the neighbors with the compressor running...but it's not a big one, and I doubt anyone will hear it.
I've been up late banging on the walls with a hammer, and running saws the last couple of months...and no one complained.

I know it seems like an insignificant thing...my inspection...in all of this virus madness, but I have it scheduled, and if I can get it done and get my certificate of occupancy, it will allow me to go ahead and start moving into the room...and since we're all shut in for the foreseeable future, I can keep myself busy moving forward with my studio setup. Heck, I would be mostly stuck at home anyway for the next couple of months trying to finish this project...but it would suck if my inspection gets held up, and I'm just sitting here waiting instead of getting the studio set up.

OK...back to work...break is over. I needed a snack to keep my energy up. :)

If you have the inspectors number, you might be able to get him to inspect even though the office is shut down. He can file his paperwork later. Wouldn't hurt to ask; ya never know.

Well...the inspector was a no-show...and no call to cancel or reschedule. :facepalm:
I worked like a dog all night...I still haven't gone to sleep...it's been about 36 hours now.

I guess the bright side is that I got most of my work done...but I still need the inspector to give me the final.

DAY 148

I'm out of the endless tunnel!!!
Today the building inspector came out for my final inspection, spent about 5 minutes looking, and said "Enjoy your new space, your certificate of occupancy will be mailed out in the next couple of days".

:guitar::listeningmusic::thumbs up::cool:

Now I can start the final step of cleaning my house of all the piled up tools, materials and endless dust, and then start setting up the new studio...so having to be in this lockdown mode that we are all experiencing to some degree...won't be as bad for me now that I can keep moving forward with my project.
I was really concerned that my final inspection might get delayed for as long as the state shutdown exists...but the inspector said they are still working, though the town offices are closed to the public, and they had to cut half of their employees for the time being.

I know to many, this sounds like unimportant stuff with the way things are in the world at the moment...but for me, it's been almost 10 months since the inception of the construction project, and 5 months of actual construction...so I needed to get this completed, well at least to where the construction was done.
From here on, it will be more enjoyable for me as I work through the studio setup...and I can do it at my pace. No more having endless workers showing up in the morning...the construction mess everywhere...etc.

DAY 148

Today the building inspector came out for my final inspection, spent about 5 minutes looking, and said "Enjoy your new space, your certificate of occupancy will be mailed...

:thumbs up:

Don't forget to post more pics!

DAY 148

Today the building inspector came out for my final inspection, spent about 5 minutes looking, and said "Enjoy your new space, your certificate of occupancy will be mailed out in the next couple of days".

Great milestone and just in the nick of time. Well done and enjoy! :drunk:

Great milestone and just in the nick of time. Well done and enjoy! :drunk:

I was talking with my contractor, and asked how were things for him out there now...construction work, repair work, etc., is considered essential so he's still working...and he said that work is OK, but he is starting to see a slow down in material availability as some suppliers have either stopped or reduced their workforce.

So he said I'm lucky that I got finished just in time...and asked what if we were just starting now, to which I replied that I probably wouldn't want to start in this type of climate, though he did also say that he's had some new jobs lining up anyway, but only time will tell how they evolve in the midst of these shutdowns.

awesome, this has been a long and interesting road to travel along vicariously and we thank you for gracing us with your project's progress.

I was talking with my contractor, and asked how were things for him out there now...construction work, repair work, etc., is considered essential so he's still working...and he said that work is OK, but he is starting to see a slow down in material availability as some suppliers have either stopped or reduced their workforce.

So he said I'm lucky that I got finished just in time...and asked what if we were just starting now, to which I replied that I probably wouldn't want to start in this type of climate, though he did also say that he's had some new jobs lining up anyway, but only time will tell how they evolve in the midst of these shutdowns.

I'm nearing the finish line with my home build as well in a month or two and am quite nervous about supply issues and possible delays due to work restrictions.

GREAT news Miroslav! If I could be trusted with booze I would down a glass to you and your Herculean efforts, as it is I shall enjoy a second coffee!

Do NOT feel the slightest twinge of guilt friend. Had you not got 'certified' for the building you might have been in danger of another, less pleasant form of certification!

Enjoy, rest and make wonderful music.

Dave.

In the lockdown, I've got a request to build a smallish home studio, so might do this because I can have deliveries sent safely and be totally isolated. Trouble is, I feel guilty, but the money would be useful at this empty diary time. Trouble is some things need two people and that's going too be difficult. Perhaps I'll wait a while and see how tight or more relaxed the advice is. Grim though really.

In the lockdown, I've got a request to build a smallish home studio, so might do this because I can have deliveries sent safely and be totally isolated. Trouble is, I feel guilty, but the money would be useful at this empty diary time. Trouble is some things need two people and that's going too be difficult. Perhaps I'll wait a while and see how tight or more relaxed the advice is. Grim though really.

Go for it Rob! I too have done jobs where another pair of hands would have been useful but it is surprising what you can handle with a couple of Workmates, Acros, even old mic stands!

Some things will be impossible of course and stay safe....Or!

Go through your cable stack and test and repair (you have also given me an idea, see 'Contributions')

Dave.

on the cable stack front .... I'm sorry to have to report that the pile is huge and over the past few years I've been guilty of buying new ones rather than mending the old ones. I know this is bad, but the cost of cables sometimes in normal times makes the repairing of them cost more! Indeed - I've still made lots of new ones where looks are vital, but repairing an old sticky gaffer taped cable and making it look good is beyond me!

on the cable stack front .... I'm sorry to have to report that the pile is huge and over the past few years I've been guilty of buying new ones rather than mending the old ones. I know this is bad, but the cost of cables sometimes in normal times makes the repairing of them cost more! Indeed - I've still made lots of new ones where looks are vital, but repairing an old sticky gaffer taped cable and making it look good is beyond me!

You can clean the gaffer residue off very effectively with ISOPR.....Oh!

Dave.

I've got a couple of old travel chests, full of cables from the past that need mending or I went with some different configuration and just made swaps, or some cheaper stuff that was replaced by better stuff. I keep it for those moments when I need a piece of cable, I can go hack one off and toss some connectors on it...and it's because much of that old cable still has connectors, that I keep it. When I need some connectors, I cut them off, clean then, reuse them.

Though sometimes just buying new cable is easier. When I get this new studio set up, I will replace much of the cabling since I already have some high quality Mogami 48-channel that I acquired for free...so I can actually reduce the number of smaller/individual cable runs by using them. The old multi-channel that I have is some military grade 26-channel that I also acquired for free from a theater/AV department that was tossing it.

It was a 100' roll, probably meant for live use, since the outer jacked was very thick and stiff...but I cut it up into smaller pieces and used it to wire up most of my current/old studio. The conductors were solid core, with both aluminum and heavy duty braid shield...so you can imagine how stiff it was. I needed to peel back the outer skin a good 2-3' so I could work with it. Anyway...this Mogami will be a nice change and better quality, plus real easy to work with.
I will snag all the connectors off the old cables and reuse them...it's mostly Neutrik and Switchcraft stuff, so it cleans up well and has plenty of life to it.

I found that often some spray silicon works great fro removing goo...or even plain old cooking oil if you are dealing with something delicate and you want to avoid all the solvents. Takes a bit more work rubbing the goo off...but the oil softens it, and then you can scrape it off with your fingernail or a soft scraper, and then the oil wipes off with a rag.

Back