Studio Build Documentation

DAY 120

Doing a lot of "mopping up" the last few days...some last bits of electrical wiring...finishing up my staining of the wood panels I cut up last week...and the floor tile in my foyer/hallway/bathroom is about 80% done. There will be some grouting tomorrow so the plumber can come back and finish the bathroom fixtures...my last two doors that have been leaning against the wall for a couple of weeks now will get installed (front door and studio door)...and that will bring me to a close with my one contractor.

My other guy will be here on Saturday to cut up some window extensions for me, and some of the beam trim...and then he's gone for a one week vacation, but when he comes back the following week, the hardwood floor will be going in.

So it looks by the end of the second week in March...I will be pretty much finished with the contractors AFA the build. My hardwood floor guy will be then finishing up some siding outside, but the studio will be ready for some treatment and the moving in of audio gear.

It's been a long haul...but it's getting there, and I should have the studio fully furnished and wired by the end of April I think...or close to it, considering that things got a little behind with the build.

AFA my overall house remodeling goes...I'll have some more work into the spring, some painting...and I still haven't gotten back to my kitchen cabinets, which I started refinishing back in the summer :facepalm:....but at this point their are prepped, I just need to paint them.

I probably won't be posting any more pics until I at least get some acoustic treatment up, and all the trim work is done...but I'll still update the thread with my progress occasionally.

In the meantime, have you been practicing? Keeping the fretboards warm?

I haven't picked up a guitar in 3 months...my old studio space is almost impossible to walk into...but I am so itching to play again, and as soon as I start moving some stuff into the new studio, I will have some room to play, either in the old or new studio space.
I need at least 2-3 weeks of playing just to get the callouses back.

That said...once the new studio is set up and most of this construction and remodeling nonsense if behind me...I will more than make up for missed playing time, as I plan to pretty much live in the new studio. I mean...up to the start of construction, I had a few other things going on in my life besides the studio and music...especially the last year with my Mom's health and her passing....so my studio time was sporadic, but once I started the new studio construction, it was with the mindset that once complete, that's pretty much where most of my time would be spent.
Plus, I'm going to be working up a live gig situation...maybe solo at first, some basic open-mic stuff, just to get my self in the groove again...and then from there whatever feels right.
I just want to play, write and record...and I no longer have any other heavy responsibilities that will suck up my time.

I haven't picked up a guitar in 3 months...my old studio space is almost impossible to walk into...

This is the hardest part I think. I'm going through similar, building a new house (with studio space) over the last 4 months with probably another 3 months to go before I have the new studio setup.

I've been able to catch up regularly for jam sessions with some friends during the entire build period though which is keeping my sanity somewhat in check.

This is the hardest part I think. I'm going through similar, building a new house (with studio space) over the last 4 months with probably another 3 months to go before I have the new studio setup.

I've been able to catch up regularly for jam sessions with some friends during the entire build period though which is keeping my sanity somewhat in check.

I'm close....maybe another couple of weeks having to deal with contractors and construction...and then I can start moving things, which will allow me to at least have the ability to do some jams to backing tracks comfortably. I am very eager to start playing again, and recording soon after that.
I've seen a couple of local musician's classifieds for band type situations that were somewhat interesting...but knowing that I haven't touched a guitar (or any music) in 3-4 months time...I just look away from them. I don't want to go in "green", and I still can't commit to anything until this construction is done and my life is back to some kind of normal.

I've touched a guitar once since 2/2/20. I have a guitar in the closet, an amp still in the moving carton and a cord. My music room computer is out but the interface was acting wonky before the move and not any better after. Met with the real estate agent today and got the paperwork to begin the listing process. Holy eye-opener. The number of people with their hands out for a piece of the action is ludicrous. And that's not even counting uncle sam. we're still working on the old house and I want that done and out of my hair before i turn my full attention to the apartment. Not quite a studio build but a new beginning for me nonetheless.

I've touched a guitar once since 2/2/20. Met with the real estate agent today and got the paperwork to begin the listing process. Holy eye-opener. The number of people with their hands out for a piece of the action is ludicrous. And that's not even counting uncle sam.

Yeah...there's a big piece of the pie that you have to share. Not sure your detailed situation...but when you sell a primary residence, you shouldn't pay any capital gains tax up to a certain limit, which is pretty high, unless you're dealing with million dollar homes.

AFA the agency and all that...well, there are some online "broker" options where you don't have to pay out the typical 6%-7% (you can bargain that down a bit with some brokers)... but unless you are willing to take a bigger control of the whole process, which can be daunting, that's what the agencies do for you.
On the surface it seems like you're paying for almost nothing...but not really. Not to mention, if the property doesn't sell fast, they have to keep up the listing and work it, etc.

When we sold my Mom's condo...I knew it would go fast...but considering her health issues before she passed away, and that I needed to get her moved from FL to NY...I just didn't have the time or energy to get into all that DIY stuff, and TBH, I use to have a Real Estate license for NJ when I lived down there. It was something I tried for a short period back in my late 20s, but I never cared for the sales thing, so after a year or two, I gave it up.
Anyway...her condo sold in like 3 weeks, and we closed on it 6 weeks later...and we paid out the 6% to the real estate agency, but our agent was really helpful.
There was a bunch of stuff leftover in FL...some issues that needed tacking care of with the condo...the cleanout of all the furniture and items the buyers didn't want....she did all that for us, and I didn't have to deal with it. So she earned her commission.

AFA the title searches and insurance and all that madness...that is something everyone pays.

Hey Miro i know you're short on time but you might just pull out a guitar to start working out your hands for a half an hour or so before bed. A good high action acoustic should build you back up pretty quickly.

Hey Miro i know you're short on time but you might just pull out a guitar to start working out your hands for a half an hour or so before bed. A good high action acoustic should build you back up pretty quickly.

It's partly the time...but TBH, I've got so many things yet to do, still on my mind with this construction...that mentally I'm just not motivated right now.
It would be like when I was a kid and was forced to sit and practice, when all I wanted to do was go watch TV or hang out with friends. :D

I'll be there real soon though.

DAY 133

Update...

I've been working endlessly cutting, staining and hanging wood panels and the trim work that goes with them... :facepalm:...but Sunday I finally finished (I'll post some pics soon)...well, I have a few more pieces of trim to do, but will be done with all that toady. I need to get it done and clear out the new studio for tomorrow since my floor guy is coming to start putting in the hardwood floor. I think Tuesday we're going to get some window extensions cut up, and also some of the wood for finishing up the exposed beams. I want to get that out of that way...so I think the floor will begin on Wednesday...and we should be done with it NLT Friday.

This past week they finished all the tile work in my bathroom and foyer (came out really well...plus all my doors are hung, and the bathroom just needs the shower doors installed and some of the small stuff, like towel bars, etc...otherwise the vanity, cabinet, lights, toilet...all is in, water is hooked up and running.

I'm tired...really, really tired... :(
Every day is Groundhog day...and it seems all I do is climb ladders and cut wood and either paint or stain it...I feel like a zombie...but I see the light in the distance, and the worm weather this weekend allowed me to stain some of the trim outside, which is nice. Staining inside, even in a well ventilated, large room...is not pleasant. I wear a painter's respirator when I have to go all day long...but that smell just gets into everything, and it takes like 2 days for it to dissipate.
I will have a bunch of wood yet to stain and some to paint...so I hope I can do most of it outside now...the next week or so we are looking at mid-50s to 60s...tomorrow will get close to 70! (damn, the shit in my gardens is already pushing up...that's more work coming. :facepalm:

One downside of working outside...I had my new studio windows open to air out the place...and I had set up my staining project outside between the windows.
Now I knew that one of them was just at my head height, and that I needed to be aware of it...but as it is when you are working, for that one second you get too focused, and BAM!...I managed to catch the sharp, pointed corner of the window across the top of my head...and I ended up with a nice 3" gash.
It wasn't real bad...I didn't have to go get it stitched or anything, but if I had walked into it just a little harder, I could have sliced my scalp to the bone.
Instead it was just a nice gash, but not a lot of bleeding...maybe for about 10-15 minutes, and with some cleaning and just some pressure, it stopped...but I know it's going to take a couple of weeks to heal. :rolleyes:

Still hope to at least have the studio geared up by May 1st. I expect to start moving in sometime in the second half of the month...and I should be getting a good deal of my acoustic panels installed thereafter. I've been considering the DIY approach VS buying them ready made...as I will need probably close to 30 more 2' x 4' panels, plus some other items. I ran the numbers, and TBH, it's like 60/40 money-wise (made/DIY)...and with DIY, I can make them a bit more robust, and build them exactly how I want/need to hang them...BUT...that takes a lot of work and time. So I think I may opt to go ready-made...though much of the ready-made tend to have 1-2 options for hanging...depending if the panels have frames...do they go all they way around...or do you have to use only the approve4d clips in a specific way..etc.

I've looked at my options already...but I need to just take a moment and get some of those details sorted out, and then decide. I mean, if it's going to be significantly better to DIY, so I can have them exactly how I want them, which is a big deal for me, since they will need to go in specific place, not to mention the slanted ceilings...so any ready-made stuff will need to be a perfect fit.

I'll post some new pics after the hardwood floor is done.

Miroslav, your intense fatigue shows in the incidence of typos!

I do hope this is done soon and you can do some 'musical therapy'.

In the meantime...Get a hard hat a pay a bloody gardener just this once!

Going to be 'king AWSOME!

Dave.

DAY 142

Milestone day! :guitar:

Today we finished installing the hardwood floor. We were going to start last week, but instead focused on getting some window/door extensions fabricated and installed, plus putting up the finished wood "wrap" around the exposed beams, and then I had to paint them...all because it would have been dumb to first put in the floor and then do that.

This week on Monday we started the floor, and finished today. It took us two and half days...which is what we expected, since the room was wide open, and just a large rectangle without doorways, closets and adjoining rooms, like we had in the upper floor of my house living area...so the studio floor was easier in that regard, but man, we humped it non-stop...and I---AM---EXHAUSTED.

So I expect in the next 4 days to finish all my trim work around the windows, doors and baseboard...it has to be cut, and then painted or stained, and I have a bit more painting to do out in my foyer, and some basic clean-up and putting in door handles and any loose ends...but the building inspector is due on Monday for the final inspection (the electrical inspector was here yesterday for his final), which will then provide me with my certificate of occupancy, (assuming there isn't something the inspector needs me to still do, but I doubt it), and I can start moving in! :cool:

There was some concern that my final inspection might be delayed until who knows when, with all this virus madness and everything being so weird AFA who is shut down, and what is allowed, and who can go where and when, and all the confusing "shelter in place" implementations from state to state and town to town...
...but at this point, the town offices simply closed down to public access, but they are still "open" and working, and for the inspection, there is really no "risk"...it's a 5 minute walkthrough.

Here are a few pictures of the work I did a week ago with my wall panels, and then the floor going in, and the finished floor.

Day142A.jpg

Day142B.jpg

Day142C.jpg

If everything goes OK with the Monday inspection and I can start moving in...I can then get going with the acoustic treatment, and start on the broadband traps and diffusion...and of course, getting the gear set up and wired in.

TBH...all this virus stuff and staying home isn't much of a bother, since I still have a lot of work to do to get my studio done...though I do hope things get back to normal at least in the next 2-3 months, and not too much longer like some people are saying.
Well...as long as I have food and the usual necessities...once the studio is up and running, I was going to pretty much spend most of my time in there...so I was already going to "self quarantine" even without this virus madness. :p

That looks amazing Miro. Been following your story on and off for a while. Please give us a video tour of the studio when you're all set up.

Hell yeah, looking nice, man. This has been an impressive project. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I've only just realised how light, airy and spacious it is. Usually I see big spaces, that really shrink once the internals are finished and yours dosn't seem to have shrunk much at all.Nice project.

Looking good! You did the floor yourself? Floor work is backbreaking, I learned from doing rooms in my house. Knees suffer, too.

Back