Studio Build Documentation

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
My new studio build has finally begun, with the initial excavation for the footings/slab beginning today.
I'm going to update with more pictures as the build progresses through the different main stages of construction.

Day 1

Day1A.jpg

Day1B.jpg

Day1C.jpg

Day1D.jpg

Last edited:
Digging pretty much done.
Next will be the forms for the footings...either later today or in the morning.

Can I ask a UK vs US question?
How tough are your permissions and licences for this kind of thing?

We now have a thing called permissible development that essential means if you want to extend your home or add outbuildings, then there's a bit of simple maths and some height limits, but if it meets the rules, you can just build. If you go over the limits, the you need to apply formally and the price gets pretty high for the necessary planning with no guarantee of success. How does it work where you live?

We now have a thing called permissible development that essential means if you want to extend your home or add outbuildings, then there's a bit of simple maths and some height limits, but if it meets the rules, you can just build. If you go over the limits, the you need to apply formally and the price gets pretty high for the necessary planning with no guarantee of success. How does it work where you live?

Pretty much the building of any kind of formal structure requires a permit. I think there's a size limit to sheds where you don't need one, but bigger ones you do.
Anything that will have power going to it, even a small shed needs a permit.
The permits for minor builds are pretty straightforward...you give them your basic plan, they look at it, and give you the permit...done.
Anything that has to meet certain building codes will require inspections during various stages of the build process.

In my case, I needed a permit, but I also needed to get an area variance, because I was beyond the minimum side set-backs to my neighbor's property, even though the neighbor was OK with it. So I had to apply for a permit, have it denied...then apply for the variance, have it approved...then reapply for the permit w/approved variance.

After they do the footings...the inspector has to come by and approve. Then they will put up the outer foundation wall, and again inspection follows...then finally the slab, and again inspection (I believe). After that there is the framing, and inspection...then the electric and inspection...and then the insulation and inspection...and then I think there is a final inspection before the Certificate of Occupancy is given.

So yeah, a lot of steps...but once I got past the variance, the rest is now pretty much straightforward, considering that I also had an architect do certified drawings and engineering specs, and my contractor is fully licensed...so the inspector coming by will be formality at most, and they all know each other, so probably little chance that there will be something not up top code, etc...but if anything comes up, the contractor will remedy as needed.
Bottom line...they need the individual inspections approved in order to move forward with the build...so everyone is eager to do what is needed to get the job done, and move on.

That's useful info - our system is often described as complex and a pain, but is actually more relaxed. We have the visiting inspections like you - footings then the building, but that tends to be for conventional buildings. people here are just getting into garden offices, or studios or sun rooms/sheds in a bigger way and the only rules for those permission wise are to do with location, appearance and impact on neighbours. If that goes through, you are left alone.

Our electrics have some strange rules. ANYONE can do their own electrics if they're competent (and there's no qualification required to be competent) APART from in kitchens and bathrooms. Very strange rule - it's called 'part P'. You have to be a member of an approved organisation to be able to legally do kitchens and bathrooms. It got a bit more complicated recently on the inspection and testing front, where certain bits of paper are now necessary, and not having them means issues when you sell the house. I have my studio in an extension to our house built before I moved in, and I did all the electrics work on it myself, and I'm not an electrician. I work for myself, and spend quite a bit of time with 415V, three phase 125 Amp per phase electrics. I cannot, however, put a new light switch in the bathroom!

Your system smells to me like a big expense, just to get all the permits you need. I am really interested in studio builds, so looking forward to the project news as it develops. Hope it goes well.

Good luck on the project. I'd cover those windows and sliding glass doors with plastic otherwise they are going to get filthy (before they come out, I assume).

Your system smells to me like a big expense, just to get all the permits you need. I am really interested in studio builds, so looking forward to the project news as it develops. Hope it goes well.

There's a cost with the permits, but I wouldn't call it a big expense relative to the cost of the whole project.
The permit process cost me about $750 total...there were 2-3 different fees.
The certified architectural drawings were $4200...but with them, I eliminate a lot of the concerns/questions that the town building department would have...plus, it makes the whole build that much more "formal"...and all the different parts - excavations, pouring of concrete, framing, etc. - all that much more easier and clearer. Everyone is looking at the same plans.

Bottom line...when dealing with homeowners insurance and potential resale...having everything done to code, inspected and approved, is important.
If I was just doing some kind of repairs, or taking out some walls inside, redoing a bathroom or some electric, etc...I could do it all myself without the permits...as many homeowners do. When it comes to foundations and adding on to existing house...etc...it needs to be done according to codes and standards, otherwise things would be all over the place from house to house.

Good luck on the project. I'd cover those windows and sliding glass doors with plastic otherwise they are going to get filthy (before they come out, I assume).

All existing walls/glass/roof that you see in the photos is going to be demolished...so I'm not worried about dirt on the glass. :)

Anyway...they are setting up the forms for the footings as I type this...so I'll get some more pics in a little while and post them up.

DAY 2

OK...the forms for the footings are installed. I'm not sure if they will be back later today to pour the cement, or probably in the morning.
It's funny how after the long wait over the summer, in a matter of 2 days we're already deep into the building mess! :D
It's not real bad though, the excavator said he would try not to push out too far into the yard with the dirt...and it's about what I expected.
Hey...you wanna make an omelet, you gotta break some eggs and beat them up. :)
I'm just happy that this is moving quickly now, and we should be OK with the weather. I hope to see it framed by Thanksgiving.

Day2A.jpg

Day2B.jpg

Day2C.jpg

Day2C.jpg

On top of what Miro already said, I have to add that requirements vary wildly from one place to another: state or city.

When I built my office/studio in my garage, the building inspector was like, "Eh, you realllly don't need a permit", but I chose to get one for insurance reasons. The permit cost $75.
They couldn't care less about my 250 sqft deck. If I were to do something like what Miro is doing, I would definitely need a permit, but it wouldn't be as restrictive and would probably cost a lot less. In Miro's next of the woods, everything is expensive.

Miro, congrats on finally getting started. Keep the pics coming.

On top of what Miro already said, I have to add that requirements vary wildly from one place to another: state or city.

When I built my office/studio in my garage, the building inspector was like, "Eh, you realllly don't need a permit", but I chose to get one for insurance reasons.

Yeah...it varies a bit by locality...though there's also a lot of building codes that tend to be consistent across the country.
Up in the North East...you need to consider the freezing depth, so that's why my footings are 4' down. In the states where ground freezing only hits the top few inches, the footing requirement is different.

When I installed my 15kW house generator I didn't really need a building permit...but I chose to get one ($50) and also since I did the installation myslef, I had a certified electrical inspector come by and give it the OK ($150). That way, if there was ever a fire or any major house issue, the insurance company couldn't question it.

My best friend who lives in California, and has been in the windows & doors biz for 30 years...he kinda laughs when I complain about the long wait for the permits.
He says in some parts of CA, my project would have taken 1-2 years to go through the permit process, and possibly cost $10k-$20k just to cover the permits and fees. Talk about crazy expensive, :rolleyes:

DAY 3

Today they poured the footings, installed the rebar for the foundation wall that will follow in a couple of days, I assume. I believe they have to wait for it to set (not sure how long), but more importantly, the Building Inspector needs to come by and bless the footings before they can proceed.
Hopefully it will not take long for the inspector to come by...might even see the forms for the walls go in in the next couple of days in advance of the second pour.

We got a rain day tomorrow, so nothing more most likely before Friday (unless they set up wall forms in the rain)...but then it looks like an extended period of dry days, with only some cooler weather, but it won't be a problem with the cement phase. So at this pace, things are really looking good to get the bulk of this project done before the XMas holiday period, which is what I had hoped for.

Day3A.jpg

Day3B.jpg

Day3C.jpg

Day3D.jpg

DAY 4

Nothing happening today...it's raining pretty steady all day. Apparently the inspector was out at some point (what my contractor told me)...so I think tomorrow they may be back to set up the forms for the walls...but I know for sure my contractor will be here in the morning to start the demolition of the existing space. I think mostly it will be to remove the drywall inside...I don't expect they will be opening up the outer wall or nocking them down until the new foundation is done.
I mean...there's a large "moat"...:D...around the perimeter, so not easy for them to haul out the debris yet, but he did say a 20'' dumpster will be coming soon.
Probably will need to be emptied twice, since he's afraid a larger one would be hard to pull out of there once filled up...there's a bit of an incline, and it's kinda narrow where he plans to put the dumpster.

Anyway...at least I'll have some demolition pics tomorrow, if nothing else. :)

demolition gets me excited like fire gets Beavis excited.

demo. Demo. DEMO. heh heh heh.

*slap* "Settle down, Beavis, or I'll kick your ass."

Permits in my town cost 10% of the project cost - how f*ing ridiculous is that? I had a freestanding carport built, cost the 10% + they wanted copies of the engineering drawings (another $500). It got built, the inspector came around and said 'the front opening is not high enough' - I shot back that they had the engineering drawings a month before the build, too f*ing bad. Never heard another word.

Permits in my town cost 10% of the project cost - how f*ing ridiculous is that? I had a freestanding carport built, cost the 10% + they wanted copies of the engineering drawings (another $500). It got built, the inspector came around and said 'the front opening is not high enough' - I shot back that they had the engineering drawings a month before the build, too f*ing bad. Never heard another word.

Yeah...the town has to make some money off your project...not to mention, in many cases they can up your taxes because you made an improvement.
I'm waiting to see how much extra they try to hit me for per year.

DAY 5

Today they formed the foundation walls in the morning, and poured them in the afternoon. Moving right along. :)
Last night we had a wicked storm, rain/wind...I thought it might cause them some problems today...but nope, they just sloshed through the mud in the hole, and kept on going. At leas the wind pretty much has knocked down 95% of the leaves. Usually it takes another couple of weeks for them to all come down. So I'll be able to do my leaf clean up earlier.

I think they will be back in the morning to remove the forms, if I understood the head guy...and then Monday they will back-fill the hole and get the ground prepped for the pouring of the slab inside the wall. Then a couple of days to complete the existing walls/roof demolition...and maybe by the following week the start of framing. :)

OK...here's some pics of the day.

Day5A.jpg

Day5B.jpg

Day5C.jpg

Day5D.jpg

seems like a good crew, they're moving right along

From what I could gather by listening to the concrete forming crew...they appear to be speaking Portuguese.
I've spoken to the crew foreman a few times, as he had some questions and was looking for some input (my contractor and his excavation guy were not around at the time). They are all very friendly, and don't feel bothered by me watching them work.
They are all pretty focused, and it's very obvious they've all done this many times before, since they work individually at their tasks, but it's most certainly a combined team effort, and everything just comes together simultaneously.

I'll probably ask the foreman what language they are speaking next time they are here (possibly tomorrow).

Back