Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Studio Build Documentation

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhar View Post
    (Dang, this makes me sound like a hillbilly!)
    You are a hillbilly.

That's interesting about no permits...you sure about that?
    AFIK, every state, every township has some type of permit requirements for building larger structures, and certainly ones that are going to lived in...and building codes are not created by the small towns/cities, but by the states.

Here's the codes for your state: Tennessee Building Codes | UpCodes

They might be more relaxed in more rural areas, but I've not heard of no building permits at all, and you can build a complete house without one...???
    Just how deep in the Tennessee woods are you?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesfordan View Post
    peeing off the porch sold me
    I've got that already covered. Got no porch, but I do have a couple of decks I can pee off of.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhar View Post
    Now I've retired and the wife wants to move to town and downsize. I'm stalling. LOL. (Dang, this makes me sound like a hillbilly!)
    If you move into town, WHERE are you going to put the moonshine still? There's no room for it in a patio home!

Thanks
    DAY 12

Even though today was a cold-n-windy ass-biter day (temps were in the 20's this morning when they started at 7AM)...they managed to pour the slab and got it all troweled off by the afternoon. The head guy said they made an adjustment to the cement mix to account for the temps, and all...and one of the guys had to stay behind and wait for it to set some before he could run the big trowel machine over it...and with the cold, it took longer....but he got it done and finished off the final edging by hand.

My general contractor stropped by to discuss the small retaining wall they need to put at the back-end of the building (last pic) once it's all graded out, and to say he expects that by Tuesday they will start the main demo of the existing structure.,..by literally just crushing it and scooping it out of there.
    I'm going to have them leave most of the stone at the back end, rather than go back to a dirt/grass surface...that way I can drive vehicles in at that side, and there will be a stone path along the new building, to my back door, which is right off the new studio. So if/when I have anyone coming over to record, and they have some gear to unload they won't have to deal with my front steps, which are kinda odd and made out of varying sizes of large slate stones.

Thanks
    Progress! Very nice!

Thanks
    wow ! nice work.

Thanks
    That concrete makes me wanna build something. Will definitely stay tuned for more progress.
    I'll look into those codes but forgot to mention the original house was built 40yrs ago and I did check for permits. Did need a septic system inspection. Installed one big enough for future expansion. I may be a hillbilly but not a redneck. Got plenty of those in the family. Moonshine? Never made my own but could easily get a quart jar if needed.

Thanks
    DAYS 13, 14, 15

Nothing happening since the slab pour on Friday...but my contractor called to say they will be here tomorrow to start the final demolition of the existing space, and expects that Wed/Thur they should have it all torn down and cleared out.
    Hoping to see some framing start a couple days after that...though there may be a need to do some patching/merging of the old slab with new slab once the existing walls are out of the way...we'll see.

Thanks
    DAYS 16, 17

Nothing happened...met with my general contractor, weather was pretty cold for a couple of days and he was waiting to get his demo crew together for today, Thursday.

DAY 18

Today was the big final demo day. My old addition was cut free from the rest of the house, and then down it came, and within 3 hours, it was all gone.
    Tomorrow they will start getting things laid out for the framing, and I'm told they will work this weekend into Monday to try and get it all framed out, and hopefully get the roof on a few days later, weather permitting.

Here you can see the whole floor space that will become my new studio. When I stood out in the middle of the whole slab...I could finally feel the size of what the new room will be.

Thanks
    Oh wow !!! Now I get it. I'm a little slow on the uptake. I saw the slab poured and it wasn't quite dawning on me how it was going to result in the big room you were talking about.

I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Thread Information