Studio Build Documentation

Cost wise, could you simply drywall the outer structure the internal face, and get the things completely signed off. Then consider the internal inner room once the paperwork is complete? My inner room had no requirement for permissions or standards because there's no requirement here to detail internal mods if they are not considered structural? The internal room would seem to be quite a large span, so the ceiling timber work will need to be substantial. If you have the height, I'd still go for this if you need isolation, but I suspect that adding the mass to the single structure on the inside would approach the figures the two wall construction would.

In my 5 college studio builds I had all sorts of combinations and the best all round solution I found was drywall on the studs - two 9mm kind being my favourite, but the inner surface then finished with an 18mm skin of MDF - not sure if this fine particle board is used in the US? Its very heavy and dense, and does what you were thinking - allows you to attach things safely to it anywhere. In college - it also means that it does not mark from chairs, accidental kicks, or people bashing it with flight cases. I've also developed a neat way to provide sockets and cabling. I lay the boards horizontal, with a 50mm gap running horizontally around the room. I then use a horizontal decorative timber strip to cover it. My audio or electrical sockets then sit immediately below the timber strip, and I add another identical one below it at just the right distance for our UK electrical box size. The sockets are then surface mounted, but protected nicely by the two timber strips. You can stain or varnish the timber, and it reduces the need for filling the gaps between panels. MDF is smooth, and I round over the vertical joins with a router, and it takes filler reliably. Attaching treatment is more simple than sticking things to drywall where it's easy to damage the surface. MDF takes paint easily too. You do need to ventilate the room for a day or two, before painting as it outgasses a bit when warmed from the usual chilly storage at the suppliers. Reversing the panels as I did in the first studio didn't make any difference to performance that I could tell, but I'm too careless to keep it looking nice. Gouges from flight case racks spoiled the look quickly. I tried 18mm plywood on one project but found it took work to get a nice finish on some panels that seemed to be rougher and soak up the paint randomly across the surface. On my ceilings I have normally just used drywall, but being honest, because of the weight for me installing. I had a roof leak last year and needed to do repairs and I think I'd also do MDF there too in the futures rather than multiple thinner layers of drywall which is what I did for physical reasons.

Being very honest, I suspect that the sound reduction provided by the room within a room was negated by the sealing of the room at the doors and windows. Two layers of glass on each wall rather than perhaps a better system own one wall might be better, and of course my leakage was mainly through the door seals, ductwork and in one case a fire alarm repeater dictated by a local authority after I'd finished. Installed by a builder in my absence who drilled a 25mm hole through all my wall layers, and fitted two 8mm mineral insulated cables that despite copious amounts of stuff squirted in failed to seal properly.

Great topic this.

I agree - I don't think you need the double-wall construction. They are not using pre-made trusses for the roof? I've seen larger buildings go up fast with a truck load of them delivered and craned into position.

I like the plywood and double sheetrock idea as well. Especially the plywood. Are you using regular thermal insulation inside the walls?

DAY 28

Just got off the phone with my contractor...because of the all-day rain, they weren't going to even try to do anything, since getting the ridge beam up and rafters attached was going to need some focus and strength, and not something to attempt in wet, rainy conditions...so they will be at it first thing tomorrow and the rain will be over.

We quickly went over my revised plan for the walls/ceiling, which I had already hinted at when I spoke with him yesterday...and I think I am pretty much decided at this point that the room-within-room is now out...and I'm going with a 3-layers of inner wall treatment instead.
I was also mistaken that drywall was a code requirement for fire control. He says in residential construction, there are only a couple areas it is required...I believe he said in the furnace/utility space and something about an attached garage...but not throughout the whole house, and that people mostly want the drywall for the ability to paint and have a smooth wall/ceiling surface.
He recently did some builds where the homeowners wanted all wood sheeting on the walls, which was put direct to the studs...no sheetrock.

He thought *I* wanted drywall specifically...I guess because we got into the whole "double drywall" discussion, as that is what you most often hear about in studio build threads and conversations, but there are also some studio pros that say plywood is actually better for sound ratings at some frequencies, and it provides that same "mass" requirement at similar thicknesses.

Anyway...my real vision was always to end up with some kind of "wood" surface as my finished layer. Some type of wood siding panels, etc....and maybe to it after the build was done.
My problem was that it would be a bitch trying to hang 4'x8' sheets of any kind of wood panels on the damn ceiling without scaffolding and another person or two...and now it makes much more sense to let him do it, since he will have all that in place with his crew to hang the drywall.

At this point it's going to be one two choices...either the double 5/8" drywall with a finish layer of some type of wood siding/paneling...or...first layer 5/8" plywood, then 1 layer of 5/8" drywall, and then a finishing layer of some wood paneling. I'm thinking if I do the wood/drywall/wood sandwich, that final finish layer can even be a little thinner rather than all three layers being 5/8" thick, since that first layer of plywood would provide the strong "screw-able" layer. :D
See...I need to consider that I will want to hang a lot of guitars, acoustic treatment, and maybe some cabinets, etc...and with at least one thick layer of some kind of wood...it would allow me to freely hang things anywhere without the need to "find the studs" and be stuck with them as my placement.
I am also not sure if will bother with doing any kind of "dampening" application (like the Green Glue stuff or MLV layer, etc) in-between any of the drywall/wood layers. Maybe...but I have to consider the net value vs. the cost and time/effort to add it to the equation.
I do think I was going over the top a bit with soundproofing concerns...and I was not totally comfortable with the need for it all. I should be fine with all that now.

Right now, even though there is wet snow falling (nothing is sticking)...I'm going to get dressed and take a ride to Home Depot so I can see the different wood panel/siding options that could become my finished wood layer. There are several products they show online, but I want to see them and feel the surfaces and get a better sense how each would look.
I've used exterior wood siding on the inside of a couple of my current studio walls...put some nice stain on it...and it looks great, and sounds much nicer than bare drywall surface, because the wood siding is a rougher, more porous surface.
I was always in love with some of those older studios that had the wall-to-wall wood. They all sounded good and looked good. Maybe a bit "rustic"...but you can never have enough wood! ;)

I like the plywood and double sheetrock idea as well. Especially the plywood. Are you using regular thermal insulation inside the walls?

Yes...we just talked about it today on the phone...my contractor was asking if I wanted to consider anything other than the rolled "pink" insulation...like Roxul, etc...but I think I will stay with the "pink".
A lot of folks notice a smell with rockwool products, and there is a off-gassing that occurs over time...and that would REALLY bother me...plus it does tend to crumble easy, though that would be on the contractor to deal with during installation.
AFA R value and sound suppression...it's 50/50 between fiberglass or rockwool or most any of those things.

At any rate...I have a little time to think about that, since he hasn't ordered any insulation yet. There's also the foam stuff, both spray or the stiff panels...but I don't want anything "foam" in the walls.

You might consider adding some "fireblock" studding, not for fire prevention but as added strength in areas where you want to hang heavier stuff like cabinets, etc.

When i was building i put some of these where i planned on hanging the big screen(they were a lot heavier then). They don't add a lot of cost either if you just put them where you might need them. Just something to consider.

Flaming maple veneer.
:D

Yeah...in a vintage tobacco burst. :D

You might consider adding some "fireblock" studding, not for fire prevention but as added strength in areas where you want to hang heavier stuff like cabinets, etc.

When i was building i put some of these where i planned on hanging the big screen(they were a lot heavier then). They don't add a lot of cost either if you just put them where you might need them. Just something to consider.

Yeah, that might be a good idea...though TBH, I'm not thinking about hanging too many real heavy items...but probably a large screen TV will be included.

With the 16" OC 2"x6" studs...I don't think weight would be a real issues...as long as you hit the studs.

Unless I find something else that I may not know about when I talk to my contractor tomorrow (well, later today)...I'm probably going with some T1-11 exterior siding in the 4" OC groove pattern.
I've used it before inside...it looks good, has a rougher, porous finish...and I'm thinking about doing the sheets across all the walls/ceiling, but I might break them apart a bit, like ever two sheets, through like a 4" strip of some other wood that will be stained some contrasting color. That way I don't have just an endless look of the same thing.
I would do the siding a lighter satin (maybe even leave it natural ?)...and then do like dark cherry or even black accent strips.

DAY 29

Monday was a big day...the ridge beam went up and all the rafters for the main structure...my ne bathroom rafter will be tomorrow, and I think the rest of the zip-panel sheeting will be going on, plus I think there are collar ties that have to be added between the rafters.
If it doesn't rain until late Wednesday afternoon...they may even get the roof plywood on.

Day29A.jpg

Day29B.jpg

Day29C.jpg

Day29D.jpg

On another note...since I've made some changes to the build, and decided that doing a room-within-room was pretty overkill for my situation, and I would have more than adequate sound isolation by just doing the heavier drywall layers and then focusing more on acoustic treatment and maybe adding another "finish" layer...I've also been thinking about my wiring.

I was originally going to run cabling under the sub-floor, and do a few multi-channel wall plates and all that...but to tell the truth, I don't see real value of that in my one room, open space studio. I could see doing that when you have multiple rooms, and you need to urn tie lines between them and the control room...but I don't have that situation.
The more I think about it...it would be easier and certainly less hassle to just use some multi-channel snake boxes, like the typical stuff that's used for live gigs.
If I had a couple of 50' 8-channel, or even 16-channel snakes...it would so easy to run them around the perimeter of the room and I could place then anywhere, anytime in the room. With wall plates, I would still have to run mic cables to the wall plates, so I still end up with cables on the floor...and if I need to run a mic somewhere a bit further from a wall plate, it's even messier. With the snake boxes...I just move them wherever I want them in the room. :)

Not to mention...I don't have to go through the hassle of running cable under the sub-floor (I would have to work that into the sub-floor framing)...plus I then would have to cut holes in each wall for the wall plates, which means I would have to figure where best to place them without getting in the way of any traps on the walls or any other things, like guitars or diffusers...etc. With the snakes, it's all neatly on the floor and very flexible with positioning...and if there's ever a bad cable, I can easily fix, etc...unlike cables under the floor and in the walls.

I only now need to decide how to run the power from my main studio distribution boxes...which might be better on the walls...vs...some kind of extensions, etc.

Also, for my cables between my console and the racked gear...that I think will go under the floor and come up into the racks through a single, removable piece of hardwood flooring. That's only going to be a 15' distance with the racks behind the mix position.

You still might consider running conduit or pvc pipe through the walls for cable chases; for future expansion. Fiber optic someday, Maybe. Something else. Who knows.

Maybe give some thought to what the room would be used for if/when you ever sell the place. Add perceived value to a shopper.

Were you adding a vocal room? I don't remember and not going through the threads to find it.

You still might consider running conduit or pvc pipe through the walls for cable chases; for future expansion. Fiber optic someday, Maybe. Something else. Who knows.

Maybe give some thought to what the room would be used for if/when you ever sell the place. Add perceived value to a shopper.

Were you adding a vocal room? I don't remember and not going through the threads to find it.

Nope....not adding any booths...just one, big open space.

AFA conduit for future expansion...I don't perceive there will be any more expansion, and if there was...like adding on another room or something...I would deal with running lines into that room at that time. To run conduit in the walls...it really gives me nothing...only the option of putting wall plates somewhere in the room, which I don't see a need for in the open room setup. It makes it a bit neater...but it doesn't really provide any significant benefit with the one open room, IMO. In a multi-room build...then I would say yes.

AFA perceived value to a home-buyer...I honestly think that having all kinds of specialty audio wall plates for studio use, would not be of interest to a typical home buyer unless it fit their needs perfectly...like they also wanted to use it as a studio...which is a real longshot.
I think NOT having all that would be more appealing to buyers, not having to cover or remove them... since most buyers want a typical home layout...though TBH, the last thing on my mind or of any concern...is what some future buyer might want. :D

I do plan to run some basic A/V cable for TV, network and phone line...and for that, I don't need conduit.
Any kind of add-ons right now just complicate things and slow down the build...which IMO is already moving a bit slower than I hoped for.
Today is a beautiful sunny, warm day...and there's no one here working...? :(
(EDIT - I spoke too soon, they showed up).

I'm more concerned about them getting the place sealed, so I can order flooring (some great deals right now)...so I just want them to move along without introducing additional elements to the build that would slow things down even more. My contractor would do whatever else I wanted...but it's always at increased cost, both in money and time. :)

Last edited:
Just went through all the pictures. Couldn't be bothered to read all about it. Just wanted pics. Lol :D

One word......

BADASS ! :thumbs up:

DAY 30

Not a lot a major production day...they installed the fascia boards and built out overhang at the far end.
Tomorrow may be another rain day...but they might do work on Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving...the weather should be OK...then we have a minor winter storm Sun/Mon...but after that it appears we will get the several consecutive days of clear weather that is needed for them to finish of the roof with shingles, and I'm sure most of the sheeting on the walls will be done, leaving only the siding work for the outside...though they still need to do the rafter/roof for my new bathroom, but that's not a lot.

Day30A.jpg

Day30B.jpg

For your 110v power - building codes usually require outlets every XX feet.

Mmmm....and? :)

Not sure why you bring that up...I'm not doing anything against code.

The electrician is going to install the minimum number of outlets in the locations that are required by code.
Then I'm going to install what I want, where I want. As the homeowner, I can do that.

My installation has to do with running power distro from my equipment...it has nothing to do with running power from the breaker box, that's on him.
He's providing two dedicated 20A outlets for me where I want...then he does his "code" stuff installation.
I then run some lines from my gear to dedicated extra outlets, rather then using extension chords...so I'm actually doing the right thing.

The plan is to let him do his thing...then the electrical inspector comes by, signs off...and that part is done.
I then can add the stuff I want, and they close up the walls with insulation. Then the building inspector comes and inspects the insulation install.
After that the drywall goes on...and only the final finish inspection is done by the building inspector, who doesn't get involved with the electrical part.

The entire build is done to code...plus my needs, none of which violate code.

Mmmm....and? :)

Not sure why you bring that up...I'm not doing anything against code.

The electrician is going to install the minimum number of outlets in the locations that are required by code.
Then I'm going to install what I want, where I want. As the homeowner, I can do that.

My installation has to do with running power distro from my equipment...it has nothing to do with running power from the breaker box, that's on him.
He's providing two dedicated 20A outlets for me where I want...then he does his "code" stuff installation.
I then run some lines from my gear to dedicated extra outlets, rather then using extension chords...so I'm actually doing the right thing.

The plan is to let him do his thing...then the electrical inspector comes by, signs off...and that part is done.
I then can add the stuff I want, and they close up the walls with insulation. Then the building inspector comes and inspects the insulation install.
After that the drywall goes on...and only the final finish inspection is done by the building inspector, who doesn't get involved with the electrical part.

The entire build is done to code...plus my needs, none of which violate code.

Ok, that was not clear when you said:
I only now need to decide how to run the power from my main studio distribution boxes.

Well yeah...I was specifically talking about from my distribution boxes to rack gear...and not the AC power from the main house panel to wall outlets.

Back