Studio Build Documentation

(Dang, this makes me sound like a hillbilly!)

You are a hillbilly. :D ;)

That's interesting about no permits...you sure about that?
AFIK, every state, every township has some type of permit requirements for building larger structures, and certainly ones that are going to lived in...and building codes are not created by the small towns/cities, but by the states.

Here's the codes for your state: Tennessee Building Codes | UpCodes

They might be more relaxed in more rural areas, but I've not heard of no building permits at all, and you can build a complete house without one...???
Just how deep in the Tennessee woods are you? :)

Now I've retired and the wife wants to move to town and downsize. I'm stalling. LOL. (Dang, this makes me sound like a hillbilly!)

If you move into town, WHERE are you going to put the moonshine still? There's no room for it in a patio home! :drunk:

DAY 12

Even though today was a cold-n-windy ass-biter day (temps were in the 20's this morning when they started at 7AM)...they managed to pour the slab and got it all troweled off by the afternoon. The head guy said they made an adjustment to the cement mix to account for the temps, and all...and one of the guys had to stay behind and wait for it to set some before he could run the big trowel machine over it...and with the cold, it took longer....but he got it done and finished off the final edging by hand.

My general contractor stropped by to discuss the small retaining wall they need to put at the back-end of the building (last pic) once it's all graded out, and to say he expects that by Tuesday they will start the main demo of the existing structure.,..by literally just crushing it and scooping it out of there.
I'm going to have them leave most of the stone at the back end, rather than go back to a dirt/grass surface...that way I can drive vehicles in at that side, and there will be a stone path along the new building, to my back door, which is right off the new studio. So if/when I have anyone coming over to record, and they have some gear to unload they won't have to deal with my front steps, which are kinda odd and made out of varying sizes of large slate stones.

Day12A.jpg

Day12B.jpg

Day12C.jpg

Day12D.jpg

That concrete makes me wanna build something. Will definitely stay tuned for more progress.
I'll look into those codes but forgot to mention the original house was built 40yrs ago and I did check for permits. Did need a septic system inspection. Installed one big enough for future expansion. I may be a hillbilly but not a redneck. Got plenty of those in the family. Moonshine? Never made my own but could easily get a quart jar if needed.

DAYS 13, 14, 15

Nothing happening since the slab pour on Friday...but my contractor called to say they will be here tomorrow to start the final demolition of the existing space, and expects that Wed/Thur they should have it all torn down and cleared out.
Hoping to see some framing start a couple days after that...though there may be a need to do some patching/merging of the old slab with new slab once the existing walls are out of the way...we'll see.

DAYS 16, 17

Nothing happened...met with my general contractor, weather was pretty cold for a couple of days and he was waiting to get his demo crew together for today, Thursday.

DAY 18

Today was the big final demo day. My old addition was cut free from the rest of the house, and then down it came, and within 3 hours, it was all gone.
Tomorrow they will start getting things laid out for the framing, and I'm told they will work this weekend into Monday to try and get it all framed out, and hopefully get the roof on a few days later, weather permitting.

Here you can see the whole floor space that will become my new studio. When I stood out in the middle of the whole slab...I could finally feel the size of what the new room will be.

Day18A.jpg

Day18B.jpg

Day18C.jpg

Day18D.jpg

Oh wow !!! Now I get it. I'm a little slow on the uptake. I saw the slab poured and it wasn't quite dawning on me how it was going to result in the big room you were talking about.

I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Oh wow !!! Now I get it. I'm a little slow on the uptake. I saw the slab poured and it wasn't quite dawning on me how it was going to result in the big room you were talking about.

I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

It's been hard for me to visualize the size of the room until now. I use to stand out in my yard where the outside corner would be of the new section to try and get some perspective...but it wasn't until now that I could really get the feel for the new room size.
The "yellow" section (that's leftover adhesive from old floor) is a 16' x 24' space...so now you can kinda see how much bigger it's really going to be, though even the pictures don't quite show it...you have to stand in the middle of the whole space to get the right perspective.

Anyway...today...

DAY 19

...I got wood!!! :p

I'm sure there's a lot more yet to come, and not sure if they will be starting this afternoon...but my contractor did say they were planning to work over the weekend to get the framing going.

Day19A.jpg

DAY 20

Most of the day went into prepping the old section of the foundation for the plates (some block remains and cement had to be removed to have a smooth surface)...and the setting up an squaring of the wall plates.

The old addition and slab were not 100% square with the rest of house. Not sure why or who built it (it was probably done 30 years ago)...but it had to be adjusted.
They saw it right from the start when they were pouring the footings, when they set up their laser system.
I'm sure 30 years ago it was done by chalk line and eye... :D ...so the decision had to made whether to square the new foundation to the house or to the existing, old addition slab.
Since the new studio will be following the line of the main house, it made sense to square to that, and then adjust the framing for the old portion.
Not really a big deal for them...it's just that by having it squared properly rather than following the existing old addition lines, it makes the rafters and roof that much easier to install properly, all cut to same length, etc, and it then brings the whole house in proper line.
I was always able to see that the old corner seemed to bump out a bit when lining it up to the rest of the house.

Anyway...tomorrow they should be starting the walls now that the plates are set and bolted to the foundation...and things should pick up now.
I'm still hoping that by the end of next week there will be a roof on the structure.

Day20A.jpg

Day20B.jpg

DAY 21

They framed out the walls today. It really went pretty fast.
I was told that the LVL ridge beam (engineered wood beam) will arrive on Wednesday, and they think the beam and rafter should be done by Fri/Sat...depending on the weather (we have some rain tomorrow and again maybe on Friday). They will start sealing the walls in the mean time.

Hopefully the roof will follow within a day or two after that...again, weather permitting, but it looks like these guys are going to push through unless it's real bad...which means by Thanksgiving Day I might have a sealed structure.

Now it's taking shape, and you can get a good sense of size in the last picture, relative to the rest of the house.
I was smiling all day. :)

Day21A.jpg

Day21B.jpg

Day21C.jpg

are those three (I think they're called) head plates going to be doors or windows?

Windows are going there. We haven't decided on the exact vertical position...probably centered on the 10' wall, maybe a bit lower.
They are basically 2' x 4' windows.
Yes, the windows create a weak link AFA the soundproofing goes, but I wanted some windows because the natural light and view is worth it, and for added sound control at the windows I will have some heavy curtains I can close, and/or some inserts I will make...which will basically be like your typical 2' x 4' trap.
That's why I chose the 2' x 4' windows. I can make some 4"-6" thick traps/inserts out of the rigid fiberglass panels that could be inserted into the window cavity if desired or needed for any extra loud days or nights. :)

Bummer, but it beats "Game called due to 10 inch snowfall!" :thumbs up:

Hopefully we won't have to deal with that for this build...it should be weather-tight in the next week or two, and we don't usually get major snow this time of year unless it's a freak...but long-range forecast looks OK for the next 2-3 weeks.

DAY 23

Nothing much happening today either.
They are waiting on the ridge-beam delivery, which should be tomorrow.

DAYS 24, 25

Not a lot of obvious new construction the last few days...but there was work being done with flashing along one wall because it was too even with the grade, and there was a need to dig a channel, put in flashing, add another layer of pressure treated lumber, then another layer of aluminum flashing as a drip-cap...back-fill with stone..etc.
They also put in some of the fire blocking in-between the wall studs...and today the 34' long engineered ridge beam (which is 2" x 14") arrived, along with all the lumber for the rafters and plywood for the roof.

I'm told tomorrow they will start sealing the walls with plywood (zip-board...aka...rubber coated plywood), and then Sat/Sun they will hoist that massive ridge beam up and also put up the rafters. I'm waiting to see how they get that ridge beam up! :eek: :p
Expecting to have the ice-shield on the roof Mon/Tue...and then the asphalt shingles will probably go on after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

So...I didn't bother taking any pictures of aluminum flashing and more piles of wood. :D

DAYS 26,27

Yesterday with the rain, they only got some outer sheeting put up (those are coated "Zip" panels), and set up the scaffolding for the big roof raising. Today the rafters were all cut and prepared and the last picture shows the big 34' 2"x14" LVL ridge beam that will be hoisted up to support the rafters and roof.
The plan is to do that tomorrow, but right now they are calling for rain all day, so it might not happen until Monday.

Day27A.jpg

Day27B.jpg

Day27C.jpg

In the meantime, I've been reconsidering my room-within-room plan, and am now considering simply going with a single wall, and to add a third layer to the inner, double drywall layers, and to just use some dampening material (maybe Green Glue...or similar) in between the drywall layers. The third layer would be plywood (it would actually be the first layer on the studs)...that would provide a solid layer across the entire wall and ceiling surfaces, which is great for hanging and attaching things to them later, without only using the studs, plus it would be useful in the ceiling for applying adhesive for the first layer of drywall, since there is some concern that the weight of the double drywall could potentially rip off the screw heads (very unlikely, but the adhesive won't hurt).

The three main reasons for considering not doing the room-within-room are...necessity, space and acoustics.
After considering that double wall designs are primarily used in situations where there are adjoining rooms or rooms above and below, like in a multi-room studio or in multi-story living space or where it's a repurposed bedroom or basement, and you want to control sound getting into those spaces...I'm not really seeing the net value for my situation since my studio is basically a standalone room. There are no adjacent rooms next to, above or below me...and my entire structure is basically decoupled from any other structure...and that certainly would include any neighboring structures, which are at a good distance. So the added soundproofing of a double wall would provide only marginal value.

The other, and more important reason has to do with the amount of space that I would lose with the second walls/ceiling...about two feet total on both width and length but the loss of about a foot or more of ceiling height was the one that really bothered me. I mean, an 11' ceiling would still be pretty tall, but not as impressive as a 13' ceiling (I am already losing about a foot because of the 10" rafters, plus the double drywall and layer of plywood).

The third reason is that a decoupled wall system (clips/channels or double wall), while doing a great job at higher frequencies...has the potential to resonate at some LF and create node problems that could be substantial. Now...I don't tend to do bass-heavy music...but still, it is something to be aware of.
The best way to deal with LF soundproofing is with rigid mass, not decoupled mass.
So my logic tells me that it's very simple to treat a room for upper mids and highs with basic broadband trapping...but the hard stuff is always the low end...so why create a LF problem with a decoupled wall system, that I would then have to treat/correct (if even possible) acoustically afterwards....and acoustic treatment of the space was always the most important aspect of this build for me...and not the worry about noise suppression, which will be quite good even with a single wall system that has substantial mass and on a standalone structure (the double drywall + plywood layers would be about 2" thick total).

All that said...I will add that it will also be so much easier to build without doing the double wall, less hassle with the building inspector, since we never identified the room-within-room on the architectural plans...and not to mention, it will save me some cost that I can then funnel into the final acoustic treatment where it will do more good than the double wall idea.
Heck...in my current converted spare room studio I've had drummers drumming and I've cranked my amps at 3AM, and no one every came banging on my door to complain...and all that has been in a basic single wall room with one layer of drywall on a 2"x4" frame.
If you really have the need to soundproof...and you have the space to lose for it...double wall construction still IS a best-case method, but even as Rod Gervais says in his book, it's important to consider just how much soundproofing you really need...and the fact that it's almost impossible to soundproof 100% without building some kind of cement bunker. :D

Back