Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Studio Build Documentation

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Trouble is some things need two people and that's going too be difficult.
    I built my room totally on my own. The key to achieving that was buying a plasterboard hoist which could be used to hold all kinds of things in place. I also had a board trolley to move boards around. Neither of those are expensive in the grand scheme of things.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thanks
    It's those things that takes ridiculous extra time that get me. on me renovation/repair job in my studio I was pulling in cables through the flooring - I'd sit on the floor, and tug, and it would bind. I'd get up go into the computer cupboard and untwist, then go back and sit down and tug again. Repeat ad nauseam. Two people - ten minutes, me on my own - nearly four hours!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's those things that takes ridiculous extra time that get me. on me renovation/repair job in my studio I was pulling in cables through the flooring - I'd sit on the floor, and tug, and it would bind. I'd get up go into the computer cupboard and untwist, then go back and sit down and tug again. Repeat ad nauseam. Two people - ten minutes, me on my own - nearly four hours!
    Yeah some stuff is easier with even a youngster helping. "Hold this here until I tell you" . Stuff like that.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Ah! Two workmates anda broom handle for the cable drums. Done this for LNE lektrik. DONT forget to pull a blue rope through as well.

Dave.

Thanks
    blue rope went in first - the big problem was monitor connectors. Plus, these cables being stiff make it worse.

Thanks
    I am so grateful that you took the time to do this write up, Miroslav! I just joined today looking for as much information as I can devour about designing / building my first studio for the wife and I. Thank you for posting all the info and pictures. I read all 29 pages today of this thread and even shared it with a producer friend.

Beautiful space and I really want to pick your brain some!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgatory View Post
    I am so grateful that you took the time to do this write up, Miroslav! I just joined today looking for as much information as I can devour about designing / building my first studio for the wife and I. Thank you for posting all the info and pictures. I read all 29 pages today of this thread and even shared it with a producer friend.

Beautiful space and I really want to pick your brain some!
    Thanks for the comments...and I think you PM'd me, and I wrote you back.

I haven't been keeping up with recent updates...but that's mainly because right now, the room itself hasn't been changing much from the last update and pictures.
    I've been doing some other stuff, and have slowly begun moving things into the room...some rugs, some shelving...but mostly I've had other aspects of my construction not directly connected to the studio, that I'm trying to wrap up.

The other thing...I was trying not to fill up the room just yet, because of the hardwood floor. The wood is a Brazilian Cherry, which tends to darken/deepen in color quite a bit from exposure to UV light...even if it's relatively indirect, but certainly with direct light at the windows.
    If I have a bunch of stuff on the floor for too long in one spot before that transition at least begins to take place...when I go to move those things, I will have lighter colored areas.
    I did the same hardwood flooring on the top floor of my house...and it's quite amazing how much deeper the colors have become...and if I lift a carpet, I can see the lines. It's not a big deal in general, because in most cases, we place much of our house furniture and studio gear in generally permanent spots...and the stuff that gets moved, will keep getting moved. Plus, its easy to get the lighter sections to also darken...just leave them uncovered for a couple of months, and it all blends...but I figured right now the new studio is basically empty still...so I wanted to five it a few weeks while I tend to other things.

That said...I'm on the verge of buying a grand piano, plus I have a bunch of gobos/traps that I may pick up soon...so I'm going to have to start filling up the room.

Once I get some furniture and some audio gear in it, and thing are set up...I'll post some final pictures of how it all turned out.

Thanks
    one of the people looking at our house turned it down because they didn't have room for their grand piano. I'll admit, that's a huge swath of real estate you have to surrender to own one of those. Plus I'm sure a larger room allows a piano to sound better. This house is just too small for that.

Thanks
    DAY 184

I guess it's not that important for me to keep the day number going, since the construction is done...but I'll keep up with the tally just so I have a final number when I'm actually sitting in a completely outfitted studio with nothing left to do by use it.

So today, somewhat unexpectedly, a piano showed up.
    Yesterday I went to look at a 1959 Knabe Concert Grand piano that someone was looking to sell at a really reasonable price, considering that these pianos, while not a $150k Steinway or Fazioli, the Knabe pianos are still well regarded for their clear tone, and are the official concert piano of the Metropolitan Opera since 1926, among other places...and many notable people have owned Knabe pianos...so they are one of the classic American made pianos, though these days, they are owned by Samick, and I believe now made in S. Korea.

This one was made in the USA in 1959 and has some interesting connections. The guy I bought it from use to play with Janis Joplin for a brief stint in the Kosmic Blues Band. He's 80 now, and really wasn't playing anymore, so the piano was just not getting used...and I think he needed some cash, so he let it go.

It needs a good cleaning, and of course a tuning when it settles a bit...other than that, some minor nicks and rubs, but otherwise in quite decent shape for a 60 year old piano. The mover, who also is a tuner and does piano rebuilds, said it was in very good shape and didn't really need any kind of reconditioning work, and at most some tweaks when it comes time to tune it.

So I got my grand piano for the studio. I thought it wouldn't be for a few days, but the mover said this afternoon we had some dry weather, so 1-2-3 and here it is. I have to get some caster cups for the legs so they don't gouge my floor...so for now the plywood is there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Where's the damn heart-eyes emoji?

Love it!

Thread Information