Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Studio Build Documentation

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear earlier...all my gear gets powered from a single balanced power box...and not the house wall outlets.
    IOW...the box is plugged into a dedicated 20A outlet...and then it distributes power to all my gear...so everything is grounded back at the box.

TBH...the article you linked to is pretty confusing to follow with all that "Zero Loop" stuff and the diagrams. In a nutshell, what you want is a "star grounded" system, where all gear is grounded back to a single point...my balanced power distribution box. The whole purpose of the balance power box is that it eliminates those voltage differences and creates clean power.

Also...I totally don't understand his logic of running the power lines 100% parallel and in such close proximity to his audio lines...???...at least that's how it appears in the drawing and the images of the conduit installation. That was always considered a bad idea and if you must run parallel, you need to keep a good 2' distance between them. I have always kept my audio lines away from power lines when I had to run them parallel, with only the occasional crossing points where they need to meet at the gear. That's something I learned a long time ago...so his "keep them close" thing doesn't follow that at all.
    He says that you "collapse the loop" by simply bringing audio lines as close as possible to electric lines...Huh???
    I feel like there's a whole page of detailed info that is missing in that explanation, and it really makes little sense to me.
    If anyone can interpret what he is actually talking about...please post up...but for now, I'm following my star grounding and keeping the audio and power lines well apart.

This will be my third, more involved, studio wiring setup...and I've always followed the star grounding system to the best of my ability...and actually, this will be probably the most cleanest yet, since I am able to run my own distribution lines, rather than having to make do with house wiring.
    I've not ever had any real ground loop issues on the whole. Sometimes with a guitar amp and pedal, you get something weird, but it's usually fixable at the source...otherwise, my console, rack gear, and recording equipment have always run dead quiet.
    Sometimes it's down to an individual piece of gear and how it was wired internally with the signal ground and chassis ground...but that too was an individual case that could be fixed.
    With this new studio, I will be rewiring at least 60% of my patchbays with new cable...so there is where extra attention is needed, since I'm going to be re-soldering a lot of connection points.
    You are very clear.
    Just trying to be helpful Miroslav.
    If you are a stickler for code compliance note that symmetrical power is not code compliant for domestic use.
    Would also think anything after that would not be up to code.
    Great when it works until it doesn't.
    FYI for all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    You are very clear.
    Just trying to be helpful Miroslav.
    If you are a stickler for code compliance note that symmetrical power is not code compliant for domestic use.
    Would also think anything after that would not be up to code.
    Great when it works until it doesn't.
    FYI for all.
    I appreciate the help...I just thought maybe you misunderstood me earlier.

Also...I am NOT wiring the main or sub house panels for balanced/symmetrical use. Doing that...is what would not be compliant for domestic use.

What I am doing is using a balanced power box (Furman IT 20) that simply plugs into one of two studio dedicated 20A outlets...and then from there I run my balanced power distribution for gear either by plugging it directly into the Furman or using the receptacles I mentioned above for more distant needs, rather than running extension cords from the Furman, like I've done in my smaller studio space...but now I'm going to permanently install "extensions" using those receptacles.

I've been using the balanced power unit for a few years now...works great...I have two of them, one as a back-up or if I need a second 20A source for those very rare times when I have a lot of things powered up simultaneously.

It is a lot easier and simpler to do things this way...rather than attempt to rewire the house panels for specific studio needs. All I ask of my electrician is that my two dedicated 20A lines are done as needed...and then he can wire the code-required outlets and lighting and all that, how he normally does it.

Thanks
    DAY 41

Today most of the asphalt shingles went on the roof...there's only about a 4-5' strip on the longer roof that is left to be done tomorrow, which is good, because then Mon/Tue we have rain coming.
    I didn't get a chance to take the pictures until it was almost dark...so they're not as clear, but you can still see the roof progress.
    Hoping that tomorrow they will also do the rest of the sheeting on the remaining wall, and close of the gable on the one side, since the roof will only take about 1-2 hours to finish.
    Then on Wed/Thur after the rain, I think my windows will be going on in...and I think also attention will be turned to getting the bathroom roof also sealed and finished, and I know the contractor wants to get that back door installed (hasn't even been ordered yet)...so they can have a completely sealed room& bathroom, allowing the use of some space heaters to warm things up...which I'm also waiting for before I start running my audio lines and other stuff. Kinda hard working on that stuff with gloves...and without them, the fingers get stiff real fast when it's below 30 degrees.

Thanks
    DAY 42

Today my main roof was finished... ...and most of the smaller, bathroom roof work was completed, they just need to put down the shingles.
    Also the gable was closed of on that same side. There's still the long, window side wall that needs to get sheeting and the top of the gable on the other side, and then comes the siding. One of my windows came in the wrong size...so that has to get returned/swapped out, but not a big deal, and it kinda works out OK, since we can use that window opening as a temporary door to bring in the sub-floor wood and other things. It's easier than going through my front door and then having to make a 90-degree turn through a second door (what will be my studio door).

I should be meeting with the plumber, electrician and HVAC guys hopefully this coming week to finalize some details...and it looks like I'll be putting in the sub-floor sooner than later. It just makes more sense to get it done now, rather than as the last thing prior to the hardwood.
    I'm also getting my plans laid out for the lighting, and my audio lines and audio power distribution. Looks like I will end up going under the sub-floor with the audio lines...and the power distro will be through the walls. It's really the easiest, and best/shortest route for the audio lines...plus it will keep them far away from any power lines in the walls.
    Still a lot of details to get under control...but the roof and basic shell completion was/is a big phase of the project. Once we move to inside work, it will be somewhat easier and more under out control...instead of the weather (it's getting colder and colder...).

Thread Information