*STICKY* Where to Buy Rigid Fiberglass

Scottgman said:
Just another nod to SPI.

Anyway, I ordered a carton (12 2x4 boards) of 2" OC703 and 4 4" 6pcf mineral wool boards. After shipping, it was around $130.

how much for the bundle of 2"? before shipping... there is an SPI here in austin, so i could just pick it up...

Just thought it might be of interest to someone, somewhere...

A good friend of mine works for Patene's which is a building suppy company here in Ontario. They dont rep Owens Corning, but they carry what he thinks is a similar product Roxul RXL40. A semi-rigid insulation which comes in 24x48" pieces of thickness 2, 3 or 4". Apparently their min. order would be one bag which contains 64, 48, or 32 sq.ft respectively. This is what I plan to buy when Im ready.

borntoplease said:
how much for the bundle of 2"? before shipping... there is an SPI here in austin, so i could just pick it up...

OK, I don't know if SPI prices/cost vary from state to state-- but here is what I paid in Oklahoma:

The rigid fiberglass I bought on my first order was 2" thick and 3pcf density (Owens Corning 703). Cost: $.99 per sq ft. They only sell it in cartons and the carton I got was 12 boards.

However, I just ordered a whole bunch of boards yesterday from SPI. This time I got rockwool. 2" thick and 8pcf density. Cost: $.39 per sq ft. :eek:

Hi, new guy here. I am working on a home studio renovation and I found the information regarding rigid fiberglass very useful.

I would like to suggest that these types of panels are not bass traps though. They reduce the reflection of upper midrange and high frequencies but do little in the low mid and bass range. I'm looking into building some panel bass traps for my room too because I have a drum set in there and it would really help.

Thanks!

gtrmac said:
Hi, new guy here. I am working on a home studio renovation and I found the information regarding rigid fiberglass very useful.

I would like to suggest that these types of panels are not bass traps though. They reduce the reflection of upper midrange and high frequencies but do little in the low mid and bass range. I'm looking into building some panel bass traps for my room too because I have a drum set in there and it would really help.

Thanks!

I'm glad we've got the new guy here to straighten us all out on that issue! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm no expert, but the data clearly shows that rigid fiberglass and rockwool do a pretty darn good job absorbing down to the 125 to 150hz range. I'm not sure what you consider the "low mid and bass range," but rigid fiberglass clearly does more than "reduce the reflection of upper midrange and high frequencies." Sounds like you are describing the performance of foam.

On Ethan's site, he explains: "705-FRK that is four inches thick and spaced 16 inches away from the wall can be quite effective to frequencies below 125 Hz." He also has data showing that higher density provides better absorption at the lower frequencies.

Check out Table 1 on Ethan's site (it lists absoprtion coefficients):

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Check out Page 2 on this website for rock wool absorption coefficients:

http://www.fibrexinsulations.com/pdf/SoundAttenuationFire.pdf

I do believe that sealed bass traps like those described (and manufactured) by Ethan provide absorption below 150hz, but stating that rigid fiberglass panels only absorb the upper-mid and high frequencies is just plain wrong.

Rigid Fiberglass

I was able to get some at Home Depot. 3" thick Owens Corning in 4'x8' sheets for 14.99 each. It has been in stock every time I have gone there.

pja

Back