Starting a Garden Studio

From your original post, I though the outer skin had to be non-flammable material? Have you given more thought to the ventilation?

The non flammable materials rule is for building without planning permission. As I'm getting planning permission I can use any materials they accept ha!
For ventilation whilst maintaining airtightness I think I can put an extractor fan in the roof with insulation lined box to reduce sound transmission (that's assuming building regulations accept that).

If you're building a room within a room, you don't need to make the roof heavy. The double layer of wallboard on the ceiling will suffice. I think you gotta ask why you need sound reduction. Is it to keep external sounds from getting in, or your cranked guitar amp from getting out. Either reason can be mitigated with planning and thought and an open mind.

The whole idea of concrete beams and tiles on the roof seems over the top.

If you're building a room within a room, you don't need to make the roof heavy. The double layer of wallboard on the ceiling will suffice. I think you gotta ask why you need sound reduction. Is it to keep external sounds from getting in, or your cranked guitar amp from getting out. Either reason can be mitigated with planning and thought and an open mind.

The whole idea of concrete beams and tiles on the roof seems over the top.

That's my thoughts too. If a timber frame roof will suffice, then logically timber frame walls would also. Which saves time, and I can do the work myself.

The sound reduction is mainly to reduce escaping noise from guitars (and probably drums in near future).

Good news! Planning permission is approved. So speaking to buildings regs they tell me that as the room will be used to teach members of the public it requires a full plans building regs application. So I got to get drawing for that!
They need to inspect the concrete slab I already laid though, as I should have done this before starting (hind sight eh?).
Then they'll inspect multiple times throughout building.
On the plus side: I bought Rod's book! That'll weigh in heavily to my building regs plans.

Back