Staggered Studs

nuss

I have two very quick questions about this design,

1. Should the base and header be a 2x6 or a 2x8?

2. should i use insulation between all the studs or just one side?

Thank you for your help!

Jeff.

The goal with staggered studs is to have a wall between two rooms, that is more isolated than being a solid wall.

Therefore, if you use 2x4's for the wall stud, you'd use 2x6 or 2x8's for the sills and the headers. STuds for each room are 16" apart, with the other side of the wall's studs in between those on the other side of the sill/header.

Insulate thoroughly :)

Remember, staggered studs will really only help you if you have two adjacent rooms. Staggered studs on a basement concrete wall, for example, is a waste of 2x4's :)

nuss said:
I have two very quick questions about this design,

1. Should the base and header be a 2x6 or a 2x8?

2. should i use insulation between all the studs or just one side?

Thank you for your help!

Jeff.

I'm not quite sure what fredrick was saying...??

First of all, sills and headers have to do with window and door framing....

You're referring to the top and bottom (sole) plate.

A typical staggered stud wall configuration would be 2x6 plates, with 2x4 studs staggered every 12". This will put your studs at 24" on center (the space between the studs from the center of each). Then you would weave the rock wool, or whatever insulation you're using, through the center of the studs.

Of course, you could increase the size of the plates ( 2x8, 2x10) as square footage and budget permit.

What Nate said............

But the closer the studs, the less chance of your wall material vibrating/resonating, so 16" centres is preferable to 24" for each side of the wall. Also screw everything together rather than use nails.

Peace...........ChrisO

Yeah, what you have below, is exactly what I was saying. Or trying to anyway :)

Nate Tyler said:
I'm not quite sure what fredrick was saying...??

First of all, sills and headers have to do with window and door framing....

You're referring to the top and bottom (sole) plate.

A typical staggered stud wall configuration would be 2x6 plates, with 2x4 studs staggered every 12". This will put your studs at 24" on center (the space between the studs from the center of each). Then you would weave the rock wool, or whatever insulation you're using, through the center of the studs.

Of course, you could increase the size of the plates ( 2x8, 2x10) as square footage and budget permit.

Back