speakers are really fuzzy could you help me find a solution?

krazeyykush

okay so I've got a set of old vinyl decks set up to my monitor speakers. (my speakers are years old). Then I have the mixer going to a stereo, yano one of them all in one stereos, it plays cds, tapes, radio and can set up to phono. ive had to do this because I don't have leads of right plugins to go straight from mixer to speakers. Sound is coming out and its playing although its very fuzzy. im wondering maybe this is because of the leads and interference. There's quite a few leads although I've tried to keep it as neat as possible, though when I move certain leads and play around with them it will become less fuzzy and crackly! I cant send pics if required! please help its giving me a headache trying to fix it! Hopefully somebody can help! I have an amplifier... would I be better connecting it to that? sorry if this is quite a noob question its my first time setting these up!
Thanks !

Ok, its not clear at all what you are doing.
Questions:
"Vinyl decks" - what does this mean?
What makes/models of everything do you have? What speakers, what 'mixer'?
Are you trying to record music? If not details on what you are trying to do.

Does 'fuzzy' mean distorted? If it does, then it's not cables. Even rubbish cables that have continuity will sound fine. Distortion is almost certainly sticking too much signal into an input that objects.

Do you mean you have a disco type mixer and the two decks go into that for the preamp and equalisation? Then this mixer goes to your stereo amp and the speaker outputs from this go to the speakers?

If the mixer has a headphones output, then what does that sound like? Fuzzy? If so then the fault is in this device, if however, this sounds good, then what input are you going into on the hifi amp? Aux, tape, or CD inputs are the right sensitivity. Absolutely NOT the one labelled phono.

Vinyl decks = turntables?

Yeah, we don't understand.

I could guess you're trying to play records through some speakers - passive? active?

If you've got a DJ mixer that your turntables are plugged into, then I'd simply go out a LINE OUTs (L & R) from that to either the powered speakers, if that's what they are, or to the amplifier LINE INs (L & R) and from there to the speakers, if they are passive/unpowered. Skip the all-in-one, as most of those are low quality.

You have to use the right kind of cables for this sort of thing, especially for LINE level paths, which need to be shielded.. You cannot use "speaker" cable/wire, i.e., unshielded pairs (sometimes made from "lamp" cord), to connect preamps to amps.

You also need to have shielded cables to connect turntables to proper inputs, and turntables generally go to PHONO inputs (for appropriate equalization) unless they have built-in preamps. Regardless, they cannot use speaker type cable.

[MENTION=200780]annaxamr[/MENTION]

Would you describe exactly what gear you are using and how it is all connected. At the moment everyone is guessing because we don't know what you've got

Yes, I am as confused as all the others but.

"into a 'stereo'" ? If the two decks are stereo and you are going into a standard 'hi fi' amplifier then straight away there is a problem. But...ANYTIME moving cables about causes crackles means you need to fix them or buy new.

As per the others, list each piece of equipment in the chain, make and model number and we shall see if we can make some sense of it all!

Dave.

Back