Soundproofing my studio

mechie

My little studio is in my basement, however sound travels very easily to the upstairs and my parents often complain about it. Does anyone know how to soundproof off the basement, or just make my computer area soundproof(maybe stirafoam or some other cheap material?) I dont have a very big budget, so how would i go about doing this?

Hi there.
DO NOT use styrofoam or any other foam for soundproofing, they are excellent conductors of sound and will only make things worse.
Tell me what the construction of the room is and the size (including ceiling height, and I will be able to give you some advise.

well i was thinkin i would actually BUILD a lil room made of stirafoam....and maybe it would stop the sound from going through the ceiling and maybe keep it in 1 place..but guess that wont work. my basement is rather large, so i just want to conceal the area around my computer. My computer is in a corner, so lets say 7 foot height and width...the ceiling is wooden and their is vents and shit all over the ceiling in the basement which leak sound upstairs...i really need to make this lil room im building around my computer pretty well muffled or soundproof without spending a lot of money, all help would be appreciated, thanks man

mechie - sounds like you have a bit of a problem here - sure you can cut down some of the ambient noise with foam but it won't stop it from going upstairs etc - looks like headphones to me ;)

Cheers
John

its not for music, its for me recording, i talk(rhyme) pretty loud and sometimes scream even(hehe im a MC)anyway, there has to be a way, maybe that stuff u put in your car to make it soundproof? i could plaster it on the ceiling and on the walls, then build a wall covering my computer area out of stirafoam, then plaster the foam with the car material, i dunno man this sucks!

mechie said:
its not for music, its for me recording, i talk(rhyme) pretty loud and sometimes scream even(hehe im a MC)anyway, there has to be a way, maybe that stuff u put in your car to make it soundproof? i could plaster it on the ceiling and on the walls, then build a wall covering my computer area out of stirafoam, then plaster the foam with the car material, i dunno man this sucks!

Foam... Get some of that foam once. Have someone talk on one side of it, while you listen on the other side. What can you hear? Everything. Does foam sound proof? No. Will it cut down on a little amount of sound if properly decoupled? Sure, a little bit, but my comparison is this. How much light will you stop of you cover up the windows with clear plastic wrap? Same goes for foam and sound.

If you're willing to make a room out of foam, what's stopping you from making one out of the correct materials? Wood, drywall, 2X4's... all that good stuff.

What are you willing to do?

Back