Soundproofing an apartment room

sbesozzi

Hey guys!

I'm moving into a new apartment (just been renovated) in a month or so, and I'll have a room for my home studio. Now the problem is, I have a 120W guitar amplifier, BX8's monitors, a few other amps, electronic drums and lots of other noisy things. I don't want to get any complaints from the neighbors.

So basically what i'm wondering is there a way to soundproof the room (or at least reduce the sound leak) that would be cost-effective and easy to undo as I move out (since i'm only renting)? I don't know much about renovation so go easy with the terms you use. I obviously heard the ''egg carton on the walls'' technique but It's not really possible for me since I have to soundproof the ceiling and the floor.

I don't mind if it's a little costly, I just don't want to spend thousands of dollars on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Quick answer: Can't be done.

Even at much much more than you're willing to spend.
You can't stop sound waves that easy.
Soundproofing takes mass and lots of it plus de-coupled 'rooms within rooms'.
It's just not gonna happen in an apartment.

As has been said by the others, without construction it is impossible. You need to reinforce the walls and seal up the room correctly - building a room within a room is typically the easiest route, and is reversible.

I've done years of making music with direct neighbours. It ment quite restrictions, most of them to do with time, and still I count myself lucky with the neighbours I had. It took me effort keeping them happy, but it looks like the easiest solution.

ahh sound proofing. totally forgot about having to do this as well. my friend has a subwoofer box filled with vocal sound proofing foam with his rode ntk microphone hanging down in the middle. works absolutely amazing if you ask me.

my friend has a subwoofer box filled with vocal sound proofing foam with his rode ntk microphone hanging down in the middle. works absolutely amazing if you ask me.

Did I miss something here? What dose this work "absolutely amazing" on?

Alan.

Back