Sound insulation problem

Richard Curran

Hello!
Hoping someone here might have some useful suggestions for my current issue.
I have been using a small room for remote session recording for a number of years using a protools system to record strings and solo violin, viola and cello. I isolate the electronics and my noisy G4 mac by housing them on a deep windowledge, separating this from the rest of the room with 2 removable mdf panels. These panels are backed with loft insulation and have self adhesive sealing strips around their edges. Once in place these are adequate to isolate the computer fan noise. To control heat (I also use an Avalon vt pre-amp) I simply open the window.
Since I currently live on a cul-de-sac and traffic is minimal this is no problem, however the road will shortly be opened and become a major route. Naturally I'm concerned about the potential level of noise (many of my clients work for broadcast so quality has to be top notch).
So the question is: how do I effectively insulate the main part of the room from external noise and keep my equipment cool with this set up?
Many thanks,
Richard

In my last studio, I had a 19' floor to ceiling rack with all the kit in, and it had a closable door on the front, and then two 4" ducts, one bottom to let in fresh air, ducted through the inner and outer walls, and then another top with a duct fan in it to suck out the hot air gathering at the top. Worked fine. The rack's the same in the current studio - I moved and just copied the good bits and changed the bad bits and tried something different. I have no aircon, so the fresh air comes into the room through two ducts one into the room in the bottom section of the rack, and the other into the rack itself, and then the top 3U of the rack is a vent strip, and the room and the rack get sucked out. All the fans are in the rear, and there is some noise from the no door front, but it's well down and wasn't an issue. Now, sadly, there's another rack with two 4U computers and these are noisy, but the big rack is full.

In my last studio, I had a 19' floor to ceiling rack...

That's some rack...how did you reach to gear up top? ;) :D

I recently picked up an IsoBox...I think it's a 24-space unit...with the fans and the thermal display...etc.
I have not put it to use (it's going in my new studio build, if I ever get it done)...but it's going to be for my power distribution boxes and a couple of other items, though I have to watch what else I put in there since those power distro boxes with their huge transformers, need to be at a distance from certain audio gear, or computers. Likewise, computers should be also at a distance from audio gear.

Ceiling at 2.4m, a small blank at the top then rack. Stupidly there is a Roland old rack mount synth in the top section, and seeing the display is a bit tricky - but it's just playing back the occasional elderly MIDI track. Most of the stuff is used, and just below the CD recorder is a rack drawer and then more junk.
redrack.jpg

Ha! The irony was lost on me - 19 foot. My excuse is that this damn MacBook has a sticky shift key and an excess of spaces! Going in tomorrow!! 19 feet would be wonderful, but somewhat awkward. I'm dim!

I knew it was a typo...and you meant 19" rack, floor to ceiling...but it was funny trying to envision a 19' rack with you climbing a ladder to reach the topmost gear...like those big library wall ladders. :p

library-ladder-fit-natural-into-the-decor.jpg

Thanks folks.
Having thought about it my issue isn't cooling in itself, the only place I could vent to would be out of the window, this is already adequate by just opening the window. Having the rack in the room is sadly not an option, there's only just enough space in there for me! The question is what are the best materials to use to construct removable panels to fix in front of the rack recess that will give good sound blocking across the full range of the audible sound spectrum. I need to build these myself since the window size is a factor.
I've noticed that the current set up I use: mdf panels with fibreglass loft insulation material fixed to the back and an edge seal is great at blocking hf but I get a problem with anything below around 150 Hz, so trucks and busses passing would get into the room.

Ah - with you. I suspect that what you are going to have to create is mass - so maybe you could try a MDF-plasterboard-MDF sandwich, much bigger than the window opening that you could hinge for opening? That would be a hefty barrier and be pretty good sound wise. The only thing would be suitable hinging for the weight.

Back