Sound booth build advice

tonyc

Hello to all first time poster here..This seems to be asked many times on this board ,but every situation is has it own set of problems or guidelines to follow. My son is a sound engineer in LA and can do a lot of work from home. On my last visit out there we talked about turning the laundry room into a sound booth. The room is 6x12x8 with sheet rocked walls and a tile floor. after doing my research and finding a ton of info I have decided that Steve Kliens site was to be the most informative . I know every product has it's test data saying that there product is the best. After all the searching I have done the way the current plan is to decouple the walls and ceiling .(genie clips ,H channel and 2 sheets of 5/8 sheet rock) Steve Kliens stresses SHEET ROCK VINYL SHEET ROCK is the key to a quility job. The questiuon I want to throw out there is do I rip the old sheet rock out and mount the clips on the studs or can I just put my clips on the sheet rock and go from there . This my seem like quite an expense just for a sound booth ,but there are times when he works on feature films and voice overs love the fact they don't have to drive into LA. Because the fact that dad is supplying the labor the accountant say's we can spend a few extra dollars on the booth . I just don't want to spend a dime to save a nickle type thing as far as quality vs cost. By that I mean is spending $500 on MLV worth the few extra STC gained just for a sound booth . Any Ideas are welcomed . I just want to have a plan in place before he flies me out from the east coast (New Hampshire ) and I ship my tools out there because sound engineers are not known to have many tools . thks again

Last edited:
Back