Solid wood flooring versus affordable laminate flooring

This thread was resurrected by a spammer who is no longer with us.... Death to all spammers :D

We recently got an estimate to put wood flooring in our living room. The contractor said no problem putting hard wood over concrete. He also said bamboo is the best flooring. He didn't like laminates, but I don't remember the reason why. The guy is also from my wife's home country so he's cutting us a great deal. :)

Apologies for kicking this back up. Didn't notice the last post was several months ago. Trying to figure out, though, why one wants a floor which offer uncontrolled reflections. probably a question for a different thread, though. Mea Culpa...

You want some life in the room, not all dead...and the floor is the best place to have it, as opposed to walls and ceiling which you want to treat with trapping and such.

Apologies for kicking this back up. Didn't notice the last post was several months ago. Trying to figure out, though, why one wants a floor which offer uncontrolled reflections. probably a question for a different thread, though. Mea Culpa...

No, you're okay. There was a spammer who drudged it up. That post was deleted and made it look like you brought it up.

But still a good topic to discuss so no worries.

We put laminate down in our master bedroom a few months ago. If your floor is not completely perfectly flat, there's a chance for squeaking. With laminate you pay for thickness - the more expensive, the thicker, more solid - and easier it goes together. The cheap stuff has very thin tongue-and-grooves, and they tend to be less than perfect, too.
I'm still debating whether to put down a 'square' of leftover Pergo I have in my tracking/mixing room.

Hi, i think laminate can chip, and when this occurs. you can't refinish the flooring and will not to replace it. Bamboo is the best choice in flooring when it comes to durability.

Last edited:
Back