Small studio space: one room or control/live rooms? Help!

gtrplaya

Hello All,
First, I'd like to give great thanks to John Sayers, SAE, and all the experts here the the forum. I've been lurking here for quite some time, reading the articles, and absorbing as much as I can. I am a true newbie and now have the chance to move my current corner project studio into a space that measures only an unfinished basement sspace 10W' x 18' x 8'. Behind the studio, a laundry room is planned to the left of the studio there is the furnace, on the other side of the stairwell leading down to the basement.
I've study John's garage plans, and I have only two questions before I start with Smartdraw and the floor plan. 1) I initially wanted to design a control room and live room with an inclusive vocal booth, but by the time the framing and drywall goes up, I feel the entire space would be too small for all of that - is that pretty much a true statement? As an aside, if it's not, I would prefer to achieve some sort of design that allow the studio to converted to a bedroom should we decide to sell the house. 2) If I opt for a one room design, how could best incorporate a vocal booth (portable?) and space for 4 guitars, one keyboard, mixing desk, rack, and an electronic drum set?

All the good questions like soundproofing, etc will come soon. Attached is a picture of my current setup. I hope I've provided enough to solicit some answers to get me started. Again, thanks for al the expertise here...sorry for the long read.

Hey, gtr.

See Ethan Winer's studio (scrool to the bottom). If I understand correctly, he came to the conclusion that a control room was unnecessary.

if i were you, i would take that big 10 by 8 room, build some not paralell walls, learn all about bass trapping, and put everything where it fits

apl said:
Hey, gtr.

See Ethan Winer's studio (scrool to the bottom). If I understand correctly, he came to the conclusion that a control room was unnecessary.

Apl. thanks for the quick response, Ethan is well known in the field. I'll check it out.

GP,

> 10W' x 18' x 8' <

Definitely one room in a space that small. Besides the links to my site already given, also see my article in the current (September) issue of EQ magazine. It presents complete plans for a one-room studio, and explains the decision to have only one room.

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
GP,

> 10W' x 18' x 8' <

Definitely one room in a space that small. Besides the links to my site already given, also see my article in the current (September) issue of EQ magazine. It presents complete plans for a one-room studio, and explains the decision to have only one room.

Tried to get EQ mag at Barnes yesterday, no such luck.

Can you give a "little" info here on one room studios?

> Can you give a "little" info here on one room studios? <

Here's the one sentence summary:

It's far better to have one room that's large enough to sound good and have an accurate low end response, than to have two rooms that are each too small to ever sound good.

--Ethan

Back