Small studio - need to treat but first how should I orient?

jrareform

Hello all,

I hope I am posting correctly and in the right place! (newbie here) - but I have been dealing with my lackluster room for a while and it will be a few years before I can build a dedicated space. So in the meantime I need help with orientation! I am fighting symmetry vs a slightly longer back wall. Before I can treat the room and ping with white noise etc, I need to know which way to orient the room. I know either way will be a sacrifice but I am seriously doubting the advantage of longer side to throw bass down vs. the lack of symmetry currently on my side walls. In either position I can set up my subwoofer to reduce null points and to be able to hear the bass and sub frequencies. Please help! Thank you so much!

Roomspace.png

You're right to consider the 'non normal' position , as the difference in dimensions each way is not great. I think it will be easier to treat if you put your desk on the wall opposite the red triangle (the one with the door). In my mind its always better to treat the back corners (and wall) first. You could hang a heavy drape over the window, and then hang traps or position super chunks in each back corner.

Wow I hadn't even considered that because my right monitor would be right next to the door when you open it but maybe it would be worth it being able to place full traps in each corner as you suggested.

I'd have to work through a few other issues as well in order to position there so would you suggest the Red area as a decent alternate? Was thinking of hanging Traps in the corner above the doors all the way along the back wall if I were to do it that way.

Thanks again. This helps immensely.

For mixing, assuming you are using nearfields, I'd consider whether you can get a centered spot on a wall and equally treat the first reflection points on the [side] walls and (ideally) set some treatment overhead so what you hear is not unbalanced. Honestly, where it's at doesn't look bad, but I'd put some treatment and diffusion (even some bookcases) behind you; and since you have available corners to the sides, put your bass traps there.

Really, any of those might work, depending on whether your doors will cause an unbalanced sound either because of the surface difference or not being able to treat the first reflections. In that near square room I'd plan on bass traps in the available corners, and maybe do a wall-ceiling join on that wall where doors prevent corner traps.

Comfort and ergonomics.
When you walk into your room what makes the most sense?
First instinct is usually a good one.

G

Awesome advice. A lot of it is just making me feel better about what I already thought which is always appreciated. Yea I think red makes the most sense - funny thing is I made that diagram years ago and now it's in position 2 but I've really doubted if my bass response is any better and I can be way more symmetrical in the red position. Thanks again!!

Back