Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Room Acoustics

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by bLUiVORY View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

But I'd still like to know if all six sides (ceiling, 4 walls, floor) being insulated count towards bass trapping.

Thanks
    Don't count on it.
    - John
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

Thanks
    bLUiVORY,

I replied as I did above because too many folks see random details on the internet about what kind of built-in trapping frame construction offers. My friend Andre Vare calls it 'Invisible Alpha' trapping.

It DOES offer trapping, but the trapping offered depends heavily on a great number of factors. A few of those factors mass, insulation depth, type of insulation, distance to the next rigid partition, the bending modulus of the partition, etc. It is not an easy answer and varies greatly from build to build. So, Don't count on it. ok?

You should hire an acoustic engineer to determine the frequency of resonance that your 6 partitions offer. That information can help you when you design/determine the amount and depth of trapping needed.

I had mentioned earlier in this thread, I think, that most enclosures will have a limit on the lowest usable frequency. This is the point where wave response crosses into what is called the pressure zone. IOW, the room dimensions are too short to support half a full wavelength.

Example: a room with the longest dimension of 14 feet (4267 mm) will have an axial mode at 40.4 Hz. This is the LOWEST frequency accurately reproduced in that room. NOW, it IS possible to produce sound from a loudspeaker that is lower in frequency than the pressure zone boundary.. BUT, one must take care not to overload amplifiers or woofer cones in the process. Sometimes, especially in ported loudspeakers, the possibility of woofer coil burn-out is high during attempts to drive the pressure zone.

That said; Frequencies are perceived and record-able, but producing them with certain equipment becomes problematic. In-Ear headphones work in the pressure zone of our ear canals and are designed to drive the ear canal.
    Ported sub-woofer systems are not designed to drive a pressure zone.

The treatment for any room should be designed FOR the system of the room/building. This is the reason why one thing works well in one room, but requires a much different solution in another. You need to know the crossover frequency of your walls and ceilings.

Cheers,
    John
    John H. Brandt Acoustic Designs - ABOUT US - OUR WORK - RESOURCES "Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jhbrandt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good evening, John.

Thank you for the the follow-up post. This greatly clarifies the/my situation.

The comments here have spurred me to dig into these aspects of acoustics and the subsequent actions necessary for correction of real-world, specific situations.

The last time my friend Bob Hodas...

Bob Hodas - Acoustic Analysis

came back home to Michigan from California and visited me, five or so years ago, I was a little ways from retirement and nowhere near this stage yet. Think I'm not kicking myself in the butt over that?

I've got some studying to do.

And then I need to see when Bob is going to be back in town...

Thanks for your time, John.
    Last edited by bLUiVORY; 11-04-2014 at 14:12.

Thanks
    Just a check to see if I'm getting this correct.

The longest dimension of my space is the diagonal length along the juncture of the ceiling and long walls. See drawing with newly added dimension:
    studio-dims-jpg

This dimension is 14'6".

Is 14' 6" still valid as the longest dim., even thought it's not the conventional length, but rather a diagonal meas. of a sloped ceiling?

14.5’ = Axial mode of 38.8hz?
    Last edited by bLUiVORY; 11-04-2014 at 20:27.

Thanks
    bLUiVORY,

Your longest dimension applicable is 12' 11 1/16", which gives you an axial mode of 43.7 Hz.
    a diagonal reflection will strike 4 room surfaces and is described as a Tangential mode. A reflection that strikes all 6 surfaces is called an oblique mode.
    If you need help, send me an email.
    Cheers,

Thanks
    Thanks, John. Will do.

Thanks
    I want to start putting traps in my corners but all of my corners have things preventing me from building big traps. 1 Corner has a Sliding closet door, 1 has a door that opens into the room and the other two have windows that span from the center of the room to almost the corner on either side. How can I place traps without renovating my entire room?
    Check out my band Primate House: http://primatehouse.bandcamp.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JG96 View Post
    I want to start putting traps in my corners but all of my corners have things preventing me from building big traps. 1 Corner has a Sliding closet door, 1 has a door that opens into the room and the other two have windows that span from the center of the room to almost the corner on either side. How can I place traps without renovating my entire room?
    Put the traps on wheels so you can move them out of the way easily and don't need to attach them to the walls. Or rig up a way ot hang them from the ceiling/wall when needed, the rest of the time, stack them up somewhere.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Put the traps on wheels so you can move them out of the way easily and don't need to attach them to the walls. Or rig up a way ot hang them from the ceiling/wall when needed, the rest of the time, stack them up somewhere.
    Thats a good idea. Ill try and flesh out a plan next time I am home.

Thanks
    Now I am thinking that Superchunks may not be the way to go in this room. I wouldn't be able to build them particularly thick/deep. Maybe some soffit type builds in the ceiling corners. I was thinking about building four of these and popping them in the corners peter-calandra-homebrew-gik-screens-jpg They would be easy to tuck away when not needed and I could use them as a booth and bring them to location recordings.

Thread Information