small control room acoustics

guy1511

Hello,
My control room is also where I do my recording in my home studio. The room is very small, about 7.5 feet by 5 feet and 8 foot tall. Anyway it is what I have right now.

I am about to start working on the acoustics and I have decided that due to its size it should be as dead as possible, I will bring in wood pannels if I want to liven it up a little on some recordings.

Anyway I am thinking that I will build base traps in the corners using a pice of plywood and angling it 45 degrees across the corner, this way I will take up less of the corner. The base trap will have fiberboard inside and then the rest of the walls will be covered in fiberboard.

First, any suggestions on plywood thickness. 2nd should the angle be 45 or another angle? 3rd is this a dumb idea and should i go with something else.

I just wanted to get some opinions on these ideas, and any further suggestions.

Also, what of the roof and is a base trap in each of the 4 corners sufficient with fiber board inbetween?

Thank you.
Justin

Oops - sorry I missed that.

But I asked the same question from Ethan last week (about mounting insulation on plywood) and was informed that using plywood was not the way to go.

ok

Thank you for your posts.

I actually read eathins articles before I found this form and he talked about building base traps out of plywood.

One of my questions is how effetive, in a small room, would a base trap across the corner be. The base trap would be constructed out of plywood.

What you really need is a thick layer of 703 style fiberglass across the corners with an airspace behind it. Plywood doesn't absorb anything. The main thing to remember is that a large area of one inch fiberglass won't absorb much bass but will kill your highs and mids.

Bass traps can be constructed out of plywood. A bass trap does not absorb like plain fiberglass. The air motion is coupled to the plywood membrane of the bass trap, and the opposite side of the membrane is damped by the acoustic coupling to the fiberglass inside the bass trap.

If you'll follow Ethan's instructions, you'll do well and be happy with the results.

You really don't need to cover more than 30% of you room with absorption, though.

You might consider just buying the traps that Ethan sells. He has a nice package price.

Back