Sliding Glass Doors

Alex W

Has anyone here ever had to isolate an existing sliding glass door (or pair of doors in my case) to the outside? I've somewhat abandoned the room-within-a-room concept due to budgetary and aesthetic constraints. I think I can get decent enough isolation by redoing the existing walls and cieling with new insulation, resilient channel and a double layer of wall material--either two layers of sheet rock or a layer of sound board and a layer of sheet rock. I'll make plug molds for a couple of existing windows and a skylight, but the sliding glass doors are a problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Alex

Alex,

I have a similar problem. My solution is to beg, buy, borrow or steal another sliding door assembly and mount it inside the existing door.......BUT not parallel to it. Additional wall construction can be minimised and provided the space between the doors is airtight (particularly from the studio space) then sound transmission to the outside world should be negligble.

:cool:

Right on. That's what I'm thinking of doing--probably with a solid core rather than glass door, but the concepts pretty much the same. I'll post some photos if I get there before you. Thanks for the input.

Alex

Glad to help.

The reason I am running with a second aluminium/glass slider is to allow light thru...........although an alternative is to get some timber framed, single glass panel doors and use them to construct the fixed section as well as having one hinged for access. Just a thought:)

Just adding to that,........one advantage of using the timber frame is that you can always use thicker glass than is in the existing sliders.........having two different thicknesses and running the doors out of parallel will only increase the sound isolation.

Well, you're getting me to rethink it all--some light from the outside would be nice since it's right there and all. I think it's time for a visit to the door-factory/showroom to get some ideas. At any rate I should be able to get ahold of another sliding glass door. Thanks again for the help.

Alex

Back