Sliding glass doors?

notCardio

I walk the line
Does anyone know if they make sliding glass doors specifically for studios, or of any that have particularly low transmission properties?

If you are trying to block sound, sliding glass doors - or any material sliding doors are not the way to go. You want something with mass, soft mateiral seals, and the frame suspended in a floating wall/floor/room. If you are just trying to cut down on the volume of sound transmitted, use regular 2 or 3-pane construction with space between them, and insulated frame.

it's been a long time but I think the studio I took some lessons in had two sets of sliding glass doors with about 6" in between them.

I used sliding doors in a studio I built in 1996, and while the glass double glazed panels were great, the leakage came from the outer frames. While supposed to be real wood, I think they were some kind of fibre/composite material. Wood on the outside but much softer material inside. Maybe to produce good heat figures? The metal frames that were the heavy duty contact with the glass were also extruded and contained voids and these didn't do much for sound isolation either. A real let down on the drum room. Not awful, and because we had two sets, fac to face, it was workable.

Wow, I bet those ^^^ aren't cheap. And a maximum of 70dB Sound reduction. And in the tracking room, another hard reflective surface to deal with.

Sliding door seals would likely be the biggest issue with that.

The glass in the photo above was likely beyond most reasonable cost. Just like a viewing window it needs to have multiple layers of varying thicknesses to efficiently stop sound waves from getting through. Likely $900 for a 4' x 6' panel. I couldn't imagine what a sliding pair of doors built like that would cost...

Looks cool though! :)

Well,the OP asked.
I think a couple of used patio sliding doors from Habitat for Humanity would work just fine also.
Line of sight.

G

Back