Setting up new room for studio.

JakJak

I am moving into a new bedroom in the next week,
I was wondering whether anyone could give some advice to me about how best to set up my room for recording.
Also take into consideration that a small part of the desk will be for working.
I have some pictures here:

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

OH my! Well, you can make that room work for mixing/recording but not without quite a bit of remodeling... I would suggest some very good headphones. - It looks like a very nice work/study room though. ;)
That said; Have a look at my publications page, there are several articles that you may find helpful - as well as the acoustics articles at RealTraps and GIK.
Cheers,
John

Thanks for the advice but your website looks a bit too expensive for me (unless im looking in the wrong place)
I dont have that high of a budget and nothing too high-tech.
By remodelling, how do you mean?
Its just a basic home studio.

Hahaha!! Site looks good huh? Well, you'd be surprised at how affordable my designs are. - get me your measurements and ask me for a free quote. (use email please) - But honestly, you don't need a pro-design for this room... wait until you have more space. Actually I really like this room as a study/work room. Very nice. ;)

By remodeling, I mean removing that nice desk and changing everything. But don't do that... Face the window, is my suggestion and hang some thick trap panels directly behind you & at ceiling reflection points. That would be a starting point. Use the First Reflection Calculator on my pubs page to help with placement.
Cheers,
John

Could anyone else be of help?
Im not sure how to go about installing bass traps and acoustic treatment.
How necessary is it to create a decent sound for recording?
Also, how much would this cost?

Start by removing a lot of that "stuff" from the room that you really don't need in there. :D
What's that pile on the left, behind the L-shaped desk (last picture)?

Seems like you might have more space to use, if you just clear it up a bit....then consider what/where and how much for a recording setup. ;)

Just by looking at the pictures I can imagine what the room will sound like! I am NO expert in acoustic placements, but I'd start by putting some bass traps in the corners, put your monitors about 2 feet from the wall so you don't get bass reflections from the speakers and put some treatment behind you. When things start to sound solid and clear that's a good start, it may work great for you, if you're still having problems experiment with placement.

What's that pile on the left, behind the L-shaped desk (last picture)?
Thats a platform type thing which when cleared would be a nice, clear space, im thinking of putting a drum kit up there.
Could work pretty well.
Im just not sure how i'd wire the mics up from my interface on the desk, can you get really long xlr cables?

Back