Setting up my room sound absorbers

FoulPhil

My mind is working on overdrive right now, so correct me if I get anything wrong or make any mistakes... :laughings:

OK, I ordered 4 boxes of of Owens Corning 703. Each box has 8 - 2 X 24 X 48 sheets or 48 Square feet per box. By my calculations this gives me 32 sheets total.

I ordered it by phone through SPI in corpus Cristi, TX and it came out to $45.12 for each box + Tax, no shipping or extra charges. It wasn't in stock, but he said he'll have it around Tuesday. I think I got a hell of a deal seeing how if I had ordered it online I would have paid close to $300 and would have only gotten around 24 sheets of this stuff.

Now I'm working with a much larger amount of OC703 and I'm not sure how to approach it. Here are a few ideas I have. Which do you think would be best?

1. I can make 16 - 4" thick sound absorbers. Bass traps would be floor to celling using a total of 8 sound absorbers. The other 8 would be placed appropriately throughout the room.

2. I can make 8 - 4" thick bass traps, and 16 - 2" sound absorbers and cover A LOT more area of the room including above the desk/monitors and drum set.

I was thinking something like in the pics below...

19266_102600379769560_100000587943585_70049_3615686_n.jpg

19266_102600383102893_100000587943585_70050_2840407_n.jpg

OK, so I have the basic idea. Can I get a whoof whoof? Does anyone here have any ideas they can shoot my way to make it any better? The room I'm setting this up in is very small. I plan to make the frames over the weekend and finish making the panels next week when I get the OC703. They will all be 2 X 4 sound absorbers. So, the main thing will be how thick and where to put them...

Just keep the drum area as open as possible to get a good room sound from room mics and your over heads.
Possible creating some rolling gobos would be helpful as well for separation.

Don't forget bass traps for where the wall meets the ceiling. That's a corner too. I added these in my studio and they made a big difference.:):)

2 inch wide panels? SPI store in atlanta quoted me $1.12 per foot (over the phone). Boxes are 12 sheets of 1inch x 24 x 48, total of 96 square ft. about $105. Divided by 2 (to compare to your price) it comes down to 6 sheets of 2 inch material. And I would be paying $105. Versus 8 sheets of 2 inch material for $45.12. Are you sure it's 2 inch, you didn't type it wrong or something?

Drums, amps, smallish room, lots of energy... I think your corners should be 4" thick if not more. With tracking and mixing in the same room, you're looking at some trade-offs. You want a good sounding room for the drums, but more importantly (my opinion) you want the room to respond well when mixing.

To me, it looks like your floorplan has everything in place except maybe the back wall behind the drums. when you're sitting at your desk, the echo off that back wall will be the strongest room mode and will influence your monitors the most. I think more 703 on the back wall would be in order. I'm not the expert, though.

Also, there are some guys here who record drums and mix in the same room and get great results. So it's doable. Rami is one who comes to mind. Maybe he will pop in with some advice.

Nice deal on the 703, too.

2 inch wide panels? SPI store in atlanta quoted me $1.12 per foot (over the phone). Boxes are 12 sheets of 1inch x 24 x 48, total of 96 square ft. about $105. Divided by 2 (to compare to your price) it comes down to 6 sheets of 2 inch material. And I would be paying $105. Versus 8 sheets of 2 inch material for $45.12. Are you sure it's 2 inch, you didn't type it wrong or something?

Yeah, I double checked with the guy several times on everything, unless he screwed it up some how. I told him exactly what I wanted and he told me what he could get me. I'm going to call back later today to make sure everything went through right, because I don't have a charge on my CC for it yet :eek:

Drums, amps, smallish room, lots of energy... I think your corners should be 4" thick if not more. With tracking and mixing in the same room, you're looking at some trade-offs. You want a good sounding room for the drums, but more importantly (my opinion) you want the room to respond well when mixing.

To me, it looks like your floorplan has everything in place except maybe the back wall behind the drums. when you're sitting at your desk, the echo off that back wall will be the strongest room mode and will influence your monitors the most. I think more 703 on the back wall would be in order. I'm not the expert, though.

Also, there are some guys here who record drums and mix in the same room and get great results. So it's doable. Rami is one who comes to mind. Maybe he will pop in with some advice.

Nice deal on the 703, too.

Yes, the bass traps will be 4" thick and be from the floor to the celling and I'll probably use the extras to correct any issues I may have with the drums in the room.

Edit: I'm having a hard time finding a lumber store that wants to cut up that many peices of wood LOL They want to charge me 24 to 50 cents per cut...

I did call this morning and the guy said they did order the OC703 and gave me a grand total for my order of $190 tax and all.

Back