Self powered monitor /speakers

Mmm...to me, Kurzweil is best known for their keyboards.
This is a first-effort with monitors...so if I was looking, I would probably look to manufacturers who already have some establish credibility with building monitors.
Not saying the Kurzweil monitors are bad...just saying it's a new product for them, and I doubt there will be a lot of user-reviews out there at this time.

They're also dwarf speakers. You're not going to get a good sense of what's going on through a box with a 4" woofer...

Subjective. Personally? If a single woofer, I'd be looking for 8" *minimum* (multi-6's preferred).

That said, there are a few smaller models that don't suck horrifically -- Equator D5's come to mind. One of the only smaller speakers that I didn't want to throw into a tire fire.

Well . . . yes . . . and no.

You can hook them up and get a sound. But it will sound rank. That's because guitar amplifiers are optimised for the sound of guitars. They they do not have a very wide frequency response, nor an even frequency response.

I've got a pair of old weird speakers that I think my grandfather built in the 60s. Else he bought them at some junk sale from somebody else's weird grandpa... Anyway, I've really been wanting to find maybe a couple cheap little guitar amps to run them as a completely different perspective from my real speakers. A guitar amp (not talking about guitar speakers, which are basically what everybody else calls woofers) usually has a severe mid scoop when the tone knobs are set "flat". Sometimes turning the mix all the way up and the bass and treble down can get you close to flat, but it is kind of just a matter of changing a couple caps out, or even just bypassing the tone stack...

A keyboard amp would definitely work better. They're often designed to be clean and flat and reasonably full-range. It not going to be anywhere near ideal, and decent actual studio monitors will always be cheaper anyway.

Back