securing cables & wires on the floor

paresh

Hi - What's the best way to secure speaker wires & cables in a carpeted room, at the base of the wall and also sometimes crossing under a doorway into another room? I've taped them down before but that starts to peal after a while. Thanks!

The nicest way is to pull the baseboards and tuck them in there.

At places like Ace or Home Depot they sell various staples and wire retainers, Some in different colors http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...NSMDw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

They sell molding you can hide wire in that looks pretty good. And for across doors, on the floor, they sell thick rubber channels you put wire through like they use in offices for computer cables, but those are expensive, like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:28&biw=1275&bih=804

If you're gutsy, why not just put them under the carpet? Just take a small pair of pliers to one corner and pull. The carpet should come up. Just pull it back. Use box knife or something to cut the pad and sandwich the wire in the pad. Tape up with masking tape or something where you cut (over the wire) and put the carpet back down and tuck the carpet back under the baseboard with a dull knife or something.

I've done this a lot in the past with surround wiring in a living room. My dad used to install carpet and such and this is what he did. Depending on the quality of the carpet and pad, you won't even feel the wire when you walk over it.

Alternately, you could pull the pad up, too. Place the wire directly on the concrete and put the pad over it. It'd be easier but you're more likely to feel it (and see it) as opposed to it being sandwiched in the cut on pad.

Of course, if you have thin carpet and/or pad, this would only serve to hide it. You would both see and feel the cable if you had thin carpet/pad.

Anyway, this is just another option. Lots of options to choose from.

Walking on cables is always a bad thing. If they have to cross traffic lanes they must be protected. Aesthetics is secondary to cable integrity. Chase down a bad one sometime if you need proof.

lou

Hi - What's the best way to secure speaker wires & cables in a carpeted room, at the base of the wall and also sometimes crossing under a doorway into another room? I've taped them down before but that starts to peal after a while. Thanks!

Well I hope that you were using pro Gaff tape and not duct tape.
Gaff tape should hold for a long time.;)

:cool:

forgot to ask - does gaff tape work on a rug?? I'm moving into an apartment so I'm reluctant to tear up the rugs. Thanks.

forgot to ask - does gaff tape work on a rug?? I'm moving into an apartment so I'm reluctant to tear up the rugs. Thanks.

Works great on just about every surface .... it's the best baby sitter I know. It will hold a small squirming child up on the wall for a very long time.:laughings:

:cool:

Back