Room within a room construction sequence ?

Michael Jones

OK, so when you have a "room within a room" studio, the exterior walls get drywall-strand board-drywall on the enterior side right?
OK so then the "second room" walls go up, but do you drywall the "backside" of those? That side of the wall which would have the airspace?
It would seem nearly impossible to do so given the limited amout of space between the two walls unless you did it before the wall was tilted up.

I read where it is better to not finish out the interior sides of opposing walls. Is this applicable when the walls are more than a few inches apart?

to be fair they should have included the STC if they put insulation between no 3 - the double insulated stud wall :confused:

cheers
JOhn

Yes!
Dan, thats the chart I was refering to!
The higher STC rating seems counter-intuitive though. But, hey, I'm not going to refute it.

Here's the wall in question:

Attachments

• plan_2a.jpg
    plan_2a.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 149
Its painful, but you have to hang the drywall on the interior side to the airspace before you stand it up. Heavy, sweaty work. I had to do it once in a Studio with 22ft high ceilings.
Build the frame on the floor(obviously) then dry wall the side that you won't be able to access, then stand tha puppy up, wear a hernia belt and a butt plug fro sure. No cussing :mad:

Sorry Mikey, buts its the only way I know how to get it done.

SoMm

My observation, and it is merely that, is that if you drywall the back side it will in essense create a small drywalled room with inherent volume, modes, and resonances of it's own. We all know what an empty, fully drywalled room sounds like and i wonder what that might impart on your conrol room. My gut reaction would be to leave it open and insulated.

I guess this is where the voice of experience speaks loudest- back to you John...

Dan Merrill said:
My observation, and it is merely that, is that if you drywall the back side it will in essense create a small drywalled room with inherent volume, modes, and resonances of it's own. [sic]
My gut reaction would be to leave it open and insulated.

I guess this is where the voice of experience speaks loudest- back to you John...
That's kinda where I'm at in my thinking too.

If you take a look at Left Bank you'll see that most of the walls were built backwards. Built on the floor and stood up. The advantage is it gives you an internal cavity to fill with insulation and treat, say with slots etc. It works really well when you are short of space.

As far as the STC is concerned it works fine. Left Bank has no external noise problems yet the air space is only 2", but there's dacron insulation in the cavity.

cheers
JOhn

You may need to join the Yahoo acoustics group to access this Excel file, it's a great group BTW. Here goes http://groups.yahoo.com/group/acoustics/files/MASS_SPRING_Resonance3.xls using this you can and I quote from Eric Desart
This File allows to calculate the MASS-SPRING RESONANCE for double leaf drywalls, Resilient skin walls (panel in front of heavy brick or concrete wall) and traditional panel resonators as described in Everest. You can enter data as well in US Imperial units as in METRIC units.

Good way to get an idea of what mass and airspace changes make in multi wall construction.

Cheers

While you're there, search on "triple leaf", Eric has stated many times that triple leaf wall construction is bad - however, I have a hard time understanding him and don't fully understand how you could build a "room in a room" without having at least triple if not quadruple leaf.

I hate it when I finally learn enough about a subject to realize that I'm a complete idiot... Steve

John Sayers said:
If you take a look at Left Bank you'll see that most of the walls were built backwards. Built on the floor and stood up. The advantage is it gives you an internal cavity to fill with insulation and treat, say with slots etc. It works really well when you are short of space.

How do you do the external corners where the two walls meet?
One wall will be plastered from edge to edge but the adjacent wall will have the plaster butted up to the end stud of the other wall.

Regards Simon

I am in the process of finishing my studio in my garage, using the room within a room concept (actually 2 separate rooms with a room) I overlapped the drywall while I was framing out the walls on the floor by 3 1/2 inches so the outside drywall (next to the existing wall) would meet the other walls drywall when I raised the walls. It worked out pretty good. Just had to keep it clear in my head before I raised the walls.

hope I explained it clearly,
Gatorhaus

I recently finished my basement studio with a room within a room. One by one I built and sheet rocked the inner walls on the floor and stood them up into place. The outside corners did not get sheet rocked but I made sure to get the walls screwed together as tight as possible, caulked the corner well, and then watched my overlap for the inner sheetrock. The ceiling was the fun part. Once I had the walls up I started putting up the ceiling joists. I put up as many of the joists as I could leaving just enough room to lift the sheet rock through. I slid the sheetrock into place over the ceiling joists and then I temporarily slid enough sheets to finish the room on top of the first layer. Then I put up the rest of the ceiling joists and slide the second layer of sheet rock down into place. The sheet rock was all glued into place with liquid nail using it's own weight to hold it in place.

I had a similar question at one time and this is a detail that John provided:

Hope it helps.

Alex

Attachments

• alex_wall.jpg
    alex_wall.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 75
is it true the all walls should have a rubber seal all the way around so they don't touch each other and don't touch the floor or the ceiling?

I think its better to think in layers. The inner room should never touch the outer room (wall, ceiling and ideally the floor as well). Were the rubber comes into play is isolating one layer from the next usually neoprene in-between layers of sheet rock. Isolating one wall from the next isn’t going to be very productive. If you think about it an amplifier sitting in the corner is going to vibrate both adjoining walls the same regardless if they are isolated from each other or not. The question is what does the sound have to pass through that is of course unless you are dealing with adjoining rooms. Adjoining rooms work just like the room within a room situation. Sound travels through mechanical connections. If you have adjoining rooms you definitely do not want the walls, floor, or ceiling to touch.

Back