Room Treatment Help! (Room pic and layout included)

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

My wife has approved moving my studio from my little 6x6 cubby in the basement to the larger room which is approximately 10x12. I'm super excited about this but could really use some help on treatment. I've attached a room layout with footages, a pic of the new space and a pic of the old space with all the gear so you can have an idea of what needs to be moved into the new space along with the current home made absorbers that I have. Any help would be wonderful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• SAM_1331.jpg
    SAM_1331.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Room Layout.jpg
    Room Layout.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_1175.jpg
    SAM_1175.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 101
Hello,

Are you happy with the low end in your new room? I do not see adequate absorption below 60 Hz.

Cheers,
Mike

I don't feel like I have golden ears which is why I'm hoping for suggestions based on the information above. I have a ton of home made absorbers that I can use. Some are built 2" OC 703 and others are 4" for bass absorption. Just wondering with the shape of my room where the best locations are to use them.

Does anyone know of a computer program where I could setup my mic in the room, play some music thru my monitors and it will measure the need for sound absorption and where it should be located? That would help quite a bit.

Additionally, if I'm only using 5" near field monitors, should I still be very concerned about bass traps?

Thanks,

if I'm only using 5" near field monitors, should I still be very concerned about bass traps?
Yes, they can't not help. But I understand your questioning it. I'm in a pretty big room and I have my bass traps in the corners. I often wondered if the ones way back 25' away from me are really that helpful considering I have small speakers and rarely BLAST the music. But I figure that, since I have them, how can they not help?

I'd say in your case, you say you've got them. Might as well use them. They certainly can't hurt.

Something is odd about your plan. It looks 180 degrees reversed from the picture. I'm trying to get a grasp on the perimeter layout of your space, but something is not right. In the plan, the drums are on the left side of the corner, but in the pic, they are on the right side. Same with your recording setup. It's on the right side of the corner in plan, but on the left side in the pic. And what does that "open" mean? Open to what...a patio? a ballpark? a kitchen? The reason I ask is because of the "coupled space" concept. Delayed reflections from an adjacent room through an opening will alter your perception of what you hear in the monitors.

Thanks Rami

Chronicle. The first pic is the new space taken from the open area. The second pic is my current space just to show size of gear, panels, etc. The new room is actually open to my current space...beyond that is the doorway to the stairwell. Hope this makes sense.

a pic of the new space and a pic of the old space with all the gear

DOH!!!:o That'll teach me to read EVERYTHING. What a maroon.:D Ok, gotcha.

My wife has approved moving my studio
That explains everything. She got the 10x12 and you got the 6x6 huh? Well, I got a gut feeling you won't be in "her" area for very long though. At least as soon as you start "decorating" with traps. Common story here.

Yeah really. But we've talked about it extensively and she understands what's happening.

My speakers will be against the wall roughly 10" away. Is it better to treat the wall behind or leave it bare?

Thanks,

Back