Room Measurements...Can I stop now?

actually these days most cameras are automatic and cell phones have taken over the majority spot of photos and pix taken now .

without the automation you would have trouble calibrating your eyes to the actual brightness versus the ISO rating of the film or more accurately now the chip used

And that completes the metaphor. Soon recording will be automatic and ears as well as musicianship will be irrelevant. Recording as we know it today will only exist among a small circle of people who enjoy history and the realm of all things vintage. Technology will undoubtedly eat us alive. The next step will be no music at all--only aural sensations produced by implanted chips. The history of recorded music is a short one. Even shorter than photography. It's merely a blip in time and it will be gone sooner than you think. Enjoy it while it lasts.

actually these days most cameras are automatic and cell phones have taken over the majority spot of photos and pix taken now .

without the automation you would have trouble calibrating your eyes to the actual brightness versus the ISO rating of the film or more accurately now the chip used

I believe this thread has descended into the depths, so lets explore. :D

Most "pics" are probably taken via cell phone and most of those are probably selfies.. There is no doubt about that. Most "photographs", however, are done with the old DSLR. (Is that even possible? The DSLR old?) And even though many are automatic, they still use a meter which takes a reading of existing light and translates that into an acceptable shutter speed and aperture. Many DSLR's offer the ability to toggle between combinations of shutter speeds and apertures. But most of the models made by the leading manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, etc.) can be overridden with manual settings. So I believe that my point is still relevant. Professional photography can still be done using the eye alone. Set the camera to manual, estimate the lighting conditions based on years of visual experience using your eyes, compose, and shoot. Then go home and plug everything into Photoshop. :D Does that mean that photographers typically meter using their eyes and their experience? Nope. And that's exactly the point. They have basically shelved their experience when it comes to lighting and now rely on technology. Which, even for most professionals, tends to be superior. The eye is still used for composition and the eye-brain connection makes the all important decision of when to release the shutter and capture the intent of the photo.

The bottom line: Photography and recording are very similar in many respects. The principle difference, of course, is that musicians use their ears. The practice of photography, however, teaches us the lesson that sometimes our natural abilities and experience can be augmented with technology and measurement. Apparently, though, this is not the case in audio. It's all about your ears. :D It's odd, though, because I've never seen a blind mixing or mastering engineer. They may be out there, but I have never seen one. Plenty of blind musicians. But few that sit behind a board with their eyes fixed on meters. And, yes, I said meter.

Last edited:
I believe this thread has descended into the depths, so lets explore. :D

Most "pics" are probably taken via cell phone and most of those are probably selfies.. There is no doubt about that. Most "photographs", however, are done with the old DSLR. (Is that even possible? The DSLR old?) And even though many are automatic, they still use a meter which takes a reading of existing light and translates that into an acceptable shutter speed and aperture. Many DSLR's offer the ability to toggle between combinations of shutter speeds and apertures. But most of the models made by the leading manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, etc.) can be overridden with manual settings. So I believe that my point is still relevant. Professional photography can still be done using the eye alone. Set the camera to manual, estimate the lighting conditions based on years of visual experience using your eyes, compose, and shoot. Then go home and plug everything into Photoshop. :D Does that mean that photographers typically meter using their eyes and their experience? Nope. And that's exactly the point. They have basically shelved their experience when it comes to lighting and now rely on technology. Which, even for most professionals, tends to be superior. The eye is still used for composition and the eye-brain connection makes the all important decision of when to release the shutter and capture the intent of the photo.

The bottom line: Photography and recording are very similar in many respects. The principle difference, of course, is that musicians use their ears. The practice of photography, however, teaches us the lesson that sometimes our natural abilities and experience can be augmented with technology and measurement. Apparently, though, this is not the case in audio. It's all about your ears. :D It's odd, though, because I've never seen a blind mixing or mastering engineer. They may be out there, but I have never seen one. Plenty of blind musicians. But few that sit behind a board with their eyes fixed on meters. And, yes, I said meter.

As a one time semi pro photog with a closet full of DSL gear I will have to disagree.
Newspapers have sent out reporters with their cell phones to take pictures to print for many years now.

I have not used a meter in decades. The cameras have been automatic for at least 45 years , maybe more.
I have a meter, actually three of them, but unless I am lighting a carefully set up indoor shot there is really no need for a meter.

Now I do use the tools in photoshop to improve things. Crop is a big one. Sometimes adjusting the DR. Tweaking to get a better print due to print capabiliyt not fully matching the image.

Essentially digital and technology have improved the ability of average photogs to take great pictures now with less effort.
It also allowed millions to swamp stock photo sites with stuff so that those millions wont be making minimum wage for their efforts.

Likewise digital has let the average home recordist have easy access to do those things that used to take a studio with a million dollars of gear.
And it has allowed way too many people to create way too much 'music' so that the typical person cannot recover their expenses now.

And it has happened to writers too although they pretty much still have to write the old fashioned way the internet and digital has let millions of them 'publish' their writing so the market is flooded with crap and the little that is good is harder to find.

As a one time semi pro photog with a closet full of DSL gear I will have to disagree.
Newspapers have sent out reporters with their cell phones to take pictures to print for many years now.

I have not used a meter in decades. The cameras have been automatic for at least 45 years , maybe more.
I have a meter, actually three of them, but unless I am lighting a carefully set up indoor shot there is really no need for a meter.

We probably disagree about the difference between a photograph and a picture. My definition would certainly not include reporters with cell phones. :D

Automatic does not mean there is no meter. Every DSLR I've owned has had a meter. They are automatic unless you put them in manual mode. But there is a meter. Just as there is a shutter and an aperture.

And I believe that 45 years puts us in the middle of the 1970's. To say that no cameras from the 70's had manual metering or any kind of metering is way off the mark. And I need some of whatever you're smoking. :D

I think we need a new "rule" on this site. If an "opinion" debate goes more than 44 posts.........the entire community gets to vote on which opinion they agree with. Once tallied........the debate is over. Usually.....the person who feels they have the weakest argument will object to that idea. ;)

We probably disagree about the difference between a photograph and a picture. My definition would certainly not include reporters with cell phones. :D

Automatic does not mean there is no meter. Every DSLR I've owned has had a meter. They are automatic unless you put them in manual mode. But there is a meter. Just as there is a shutter and an aperture.

And I believe that 45 years puts us in the middle of the 1970's. To say that no cameras from the 70's had manual metering or any kind of metering is way off the mark. And I need some of whatever you're smoking. :D

bad weed left over from the clinton administration :)

I think we need a new "rule" on this site. If an "opinion" debate goes more than 44 posts.........the entire community gets to vote on which opinion they agree with. Once tallied........the debate is over. Usually.....the person who feels they have the weakest argument will object to that idea. ;)

LOL. We'd have to first agree on what the opinions were. They would fall into several categories and there would be disagreements over the categories. A poll would follow and someone would object to the poll itself. Then the thread would veer into left field and soon anger would issue. By this time, the original poster would have stomped off and taken his ball with him. :D

Last edited:
I tried it too... APL Audio is at absolutely another level. It provides true results - almost ideal loudspeakers. ONLY LOUDSPEAKERS, not room acoustic. APL Audio is not bluffing about "perfect" room equalisation like some other companies do. You can not get ideal room acoustics for STEREO monitor system. Even theoretically - just at one listener's positions on mid axis (at 120° triangle point), all other positions in room have more or less but phasing problems. Room acoustics must be physically optimised. And loudspeaker placement and directivity must be physically optimised. Only at the end some very delicate room equalisation / fine-tuning can be done over all it.

Back