the roof, the roof, the roof is on higher!!!

gullyjewelz

hey im doin my vocal recording in a closet . . . (i have gotten some good advice aqbout blankets, pillows, furniture and etc. as far as reducing the echo)

but i have a pretty darn hi azz ceiling in the vocalbooth (former closet) . . . is it feasible for some one such as me (with no significant carpentry knowledge base beyong "this is a hammer" and "this is a nail" to for instance . . .

put up a "roof" of sorts that hangs much lower . . .

i got the idea from buying a lil home shelf kit. i put up a shelf on the wall of a room in my house. it seems rather sturdy. its holding books, etc. with no "Falling down" issues . . . even if i bang on the wall.

what i envision is: putting up the "base" on both sides or all four sides of the closet - - as if i were putting a shelf up . . . and then getting a flat piece of treated or untreated wood whose dimensions fit the dimensions of the room, adn then putting that piece of wood up - - letting it lay flat, resting on the "shelf holders" that i put up . . .

if this works, i supposed i would be getting rid of even more echo . . .

does this sound feasible or have i gone off the loony bin?

any assitance is greatly appreiated!!!!

gullyjewelz said:
hey im doin my vocal recording in a closet . . . (i have gotten some good advice aqbout blankets, pillows, furniture and etc. as far as reducing the echo)

Just install a drop ceiling. You can get all the parts at the local hardware store, that's a fairly low skill installation.

mshilarious said:
Just install a drop ceiling. You can get all the parts at the local hardware store, that's a fairly low skill installation.
I agree, especially if you don't have any significant carpentry skills.
You could even put some 703 on top of the "drop ceiling" and just make your whole ceiling disappear acoustically.

Doing what you're thinking of is just going to be a nightmare for you.
Walls are never square, and you'd have to put the ceiling your thinking of up there in 2 pieces; one piece would never fit up there on top of the "lip".

COOL -- thanks for ht einfo . . . sometime in the very n ear future i will be tryin to put up a drop ceiling

geesh -- it sounds sooooooooo knowledgeable

lol

Just wander to the back of the Home Depot, Lowes, whatever you have to where the ceiling tile is. They should even have a picture on the wall of how it gets installed.

Back