Here's the link to rockwools site

Roll, Twinroll and Rollbatt

Or i can get this stuff either

Rockwool Flexi

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Properties Details
Dimensions 400mm & 600mm x 1200mm
Thickness 50mm - 200mm
Thermal Conductivity Thermal - 50mm - 120mm, 0.038 W/mK // Acoustic - 140mm - 200mm, 0.035 W/mK
Acoustic Properties Achieves Part E (resistance to sound) when installed in accordance to ROCKWOOL guidelines
Fire Properties Euroclass A1
Water Repellency Water Repellent
Vapour Resistivity Negligable
Environmental Zero ODP & GWP
Standards BS EN 13162, ISO 14001: 2004

Rockwool Flexi

I want to build
4x Bass Traps
10x Absorbers (2x Front 2x Back 4x Right & Left 2x Ceiling )

Here is a video to my progress so far

Thanks

Jay

This is thermal insulation, not acoustic - its not dense enough. You could use it (at 100mm thickness) for ceiling cloud and side wall point-of-first-reflection absorbers, but if you use dense rockwool, you'd only need 50mm thick material in those places.

This is thermal insulation, not acoustic - its not dense enough. You could use it (at 100mm thickness) for ceiling cloud and side wall point-of-first-reflection absorbers, but if you use dense rockwool, you'd only need 50mm thick material in those places.

Sorry but which one are you referring to ?

The Roll or the flexi ?

All of it.

So its no good for Acoustics then ?

It says this for the Flexi "Acoustic Properties - Achieves Part E (resistance to sound) when installed in accordance to ROCKWOOL guidelines"

And on the rolls of Earthwool its says "has good acoustic properties" but no details

There is also Rockwool Rollbatts which i can get, they seem to be the most expensive at 45 euro a roll

I can these locally, so was hoping that they would be ok, i have to order RW3 or RWa45 and postage is 50 euros which is way to much.

I am a little confused about the whole DIY acoustic's, there are so many different terms going around about using insulation.

I'll start here "Rockwool" is a company that makes all different types of insulation, but yet i keep hearing terms like "just use rockwool for Traps"

Then i hear, just use fiberglass or OC703, now i think i have figured out that OC(Owens Corning) is just a different company that make insulation, and that fiberglass is the pink/yellow fluffy stuff made by Isover (Which is the cheapest insulation i can get for 18 euro a roll 6" Thick

I taught most insulation was made with fiberglass, so that has me confused when people use terms like just use fiberglass.

So then there's rigid boards and soft fluffy rolls.

After that then i guess the main thing is the density.

Thanks for any help

Jay

Just to add to this there is also Roxul - which seem to be the same company as Rockwool but under a different name in the US, i live in Ireland so we go by most european terms now.

Last edited:
The main problem with it is density - it's not dense enough to absorb enough sound for use as acoustic treatment. It'll absorb some sound, but ideally you want something more effective for bass trapping/broadband absorption. Higher density rockwool will absorb more sound per panel, up to a point. You'll see 'good acoustic properties' on fibreglass rolls quite often, because as a building material (normally it's sold as loft insulation) it's relatively good, but for acoustic treatment it's not that good at all.

'Rockwool' is used to refer generally to high density fibreglass wool sheets/mats, like these: 100mm DFM Acoustic Insulation Soundproof Walls
Both the Rockwool company, and Owens Corning are brand/manufacturer names.

If Ireland is anything like the UK theyre not as easy to find as in the USA, so the best bet is either online or from a builders merchant.

Sadly, this stuff costs more than the insulation rolls, so I can't see much of a solution without spending upwards of 50 euros.

The main problem with it is density - it's not dense enough to absorb enough sound for use as acoustic treatment. It'll absorb some sound, but ideally you want something more effective for bass trapping/broadband absorption. Higher density rockwool will absorb more sound per panel, up to a point. You'll see 'good acoustic properties' on fibreglass rolls quite often, because as a building material (normally it's sold as loft insulation) it's relatively good, but for acoustic treatment it's not that good at all.

'Rockwool' is used to refer generally to high density fibreglass wool sheets/mats, like these: 100mm DFM Acoustic Insulation Soundproof Walls
Both the Rockwool company, and Owens Corning are brand/manufacturer names.

If Ireland is anything like the UK theyre not as easy to find as in the USA, so the best bet is either online or from a builders merchant.

Sadly, this stuff costs more than the insulation rolls, so I can't see much of a solution without spending upwards of 50 euros.

Thank you for clearing that up for me i totally understand now.

I had no luck today in my local hardware store anyway they were out of stock and aint getting it back in either (the Flexi that is), they're going to deal with a new company that does the same stuff but cheaper (it wont be in stock for a few weeks though).

So basically the only stuff i can get locally now is(and this was the best deal i found also) 200mm Rockwool RollBatts (or can get that in 150 or 100mm thickness either) all at the same price of €33 per roll

Am i just better of ordering the RW3 or known as SL930 now which is 60Kg/m3, one of the hardware stores said he might be able to get it in for me(ill know tomorrow)

Would RW3 do for making everything ?

Or do i need to use different type's for different pannels ?

Thanks

Jay

Am i just better of ordering the RW3 or known as SL930 now which is 60Kg/m3, one of the hardware stores said he might be able to get it in for me(ill know tomorrow)

Would RW3 do for making everything ?

Or do i need to use different type's for different pannels ?

Cant say for sure if it's gonna work for everything, but it's the generally accepted standard.

You can generally use the same stuff for different panels, just thicker for bass traps and broadband absorbers (I doubled or up 100mm rockwool slabs and put them accross the corners of the room as I ran out of money to fill the corners in).

As a general rule, the thicker the panel, the more low frequencies it will absorb. It'll absorb more of everything actually, but low frequencies are more problematic once you've taken care of early reflections.

Cant say for sure if it's gonna work for everything, but it's the generally accepted standard.

You can generally use the same stuff for different panels, just thicker for bass traps and broadband absorbers (I doubled or up 100mm rockwool slabs and put them accross the corners of the room as I ran out of money to fill the corners in).

As a general rule, the thicker the panel, the more low frequencies it will absorb. It'll absorb more of everything actually, but low frequencies are more problematic once you've taken care of early reflections.

Thanks for your reply,

I think it all makes sence to me now

So, if i have this right it goes like this

A Corner Bass Trap - Is made with Superchunks that are "usually" cut into tri-angles to fit into a corner so you can completely fill the corner floor to ceiling, and the best stuff to use here would be Rockwool RW3 which is 60kg/m3 or something as dense as that ?

A Bass Trap - Usually a 2x4 Frame with a minimum of 150mm RW3 inside and material to cover it up, and with a 50/100mm gap behind it ?

A Broadband Absorber - Same as a Bass Trap but can use 100mm instead of 150mm

A Cloud - Can go a little lighter here (if you want) by using 50mm RW3

So can you use a Bass Trap at the L/R refelection points ?

Or have i got this wrong ? Can you use a "Bass Trap" in a corner aswell ( like what you said you didn't fill the corner ) So you just have it sitting into the corner ?

Sorry for the all the questons im only learning about Acoustics and it takes awhile for it all to sink in before i can get to understand it a bit better.

Thanks

Jay

Last edited:
Superchunks inthe corner (triangle) is better than bass traps with corner space behind them - 100mm is OK for broadband/bass traps. 50mm is OK for relection points on side walls and cloud.

Back