Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Rockwool LoftRoll Insulation 100mm Roll for Bass Traps

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wexford,Ireland
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Rockwool LoftRoll Insulation 100mm Roll for Bass Traps

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi would this stuff here be any good for making basstraps

    LoftRoll Insulation 100mm | McMahons

    I can get that at my local store for €33 a roll

    Technical information
    Properties Details
    Dimensions 400mm, 600mm & 1200mm x 2750mm – 4800mm
    Thickness 100mm – 220mm
    Thermal Conductivity 0.044 W/mK
    Fire Properties Euroclass A1
    Third Party Approvals Zero ODP & GWP
    Standards BS EN 13162, ISO 14001: 2004

    Here's the link to rockwools site

    Roll, Twinroll and Rollbatt

    Or i can get this stuff either

    Rockwool Flexi

    TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    Properties Details
    Dimensions 400mm & 600mm x 1200mm
    Thickness 50mm - 200mm
    Thermal Conductivity Thermal - 50mm - 120mm, 0.038 W/mK // Acoustic - 140mm - 200mm, 0.035 W/mK
    Acoustic Properties Achieves Part E (resistance to sound) when installed in accordance to ROCKWOOL guidelines
    Fire Properties Euroclass A1
    Water Repellency Water Repellent
    Vapour Resistivity Negligable
    Environmental Zero ODP & GWP
    Standards BS EN 13162, ISO 14001: 2004

    Rockwool Flexi

    I want to build
    4x Bass Traps
    10x Absorbers (2x Front 2x Back 4x Right & Left 2x Ceiling )

    Here is a video to my progress so far



    Thanks

    Jay

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    12,213
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 577 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    18632360
    This is thermal insulation, not acoustic - its not dense enough. You could use it (at 100mm thickness) for ceiling cloud and side wall point-of-first-reflection absorbers, but if you use dense rockwool, you'd only need 50mm thick material in those places.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wexford,Ireland
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    This is thermal insulation, not acoustic - its not dense enough. You could use it (at 100mm thickness) for ceiling cloud and side wall point-of-first-reflection absorbers, but if you use dense rockwool, you'd only need 50mm thick material in those places.
    Sorry but which one are you referring to ?

    The Roll or the flexi ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    12,213
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 577 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    18632360
    All of it.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wexford,Ireland
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    All of it.
    So its no good for Acoustics then ?

    It says this for the Flexi "Acoustic Properties - Achieves Part E (resistance to sound) when installed in accordance to ROCKWOOL guidelines"

    And on the rolls of Earthwool its says "has good acoustic properties" but no details

    There is also Rockwool Rollbatts which i can get, they seem to be the most expensive at 45 euro a roll

    I can these locally, so was hoping that they would be ok, i have to order RW3 or RWa45 and postage is 50 euros which is way to much.

    I am a little confused about the whole DIY acoustic's, there are so many different terms going around about using insulation.

    I'll start here "Rockwool" is a company that makes all different types of insulation, but yet i keep hearing terms like "just use rockwool for Traps"

    Then i hear, just use fiberglass or OC703, now i think i have figured out that OC(Owens Corning) is just a different company that make insulation, and that fiberglass is the pink/yellow fluffy stuff made by Isover (Which is the cheapest insulation i can get for 18 euro a roll 6" Thick

    I taught most insulation was made with fiberglass, so that has me confused when people use terms like just use fiberglass.

    So then there's rigid boards and soft fluffy rolls.

    After that then i guess the main thing is the density.

    Thanks for any help

    Jay

    Just to add to this there is also Roxul - which seem to be the same company as Rockwool but under a different name in the US, i live in Ireland so we go by most european terms now.
    Last edited by MeltdownStudio; 06-17-2015 at 13:41.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    635177
    The main problem with it is density - it's not dense enough to absorb enough sound for use as acoustic treatment. It'll absorb some sound, but ideally you want something more effective for bass trapping/broadband absorption. Higher density rockwool will absorb more sound per panel, up to a point. You'll see 'good acoustic properties' on fibreglass rolls quite often, because as a building material (normally it's sold as loft insulation) it's relatively good, but for acoustic treatment it's not that good at all.

    'Rockwool' is used to refer generally to high density fibreglass wool sheets/mats, like these: 100mm DFM Acoustic Insulation Soundproof Walls
    Both the Rockwool company, and Owens Corning are brand/manufacturer names.

    If Ireland is anything like the UK theyre not as easy to find as in the USA, so the best bet is either online or from a builders merchant.

    Sadly, this stuff costs more than the insulation rolls, so I can't see much of a solution without spending upwards of 50 euros.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wexford,Ireland
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_JW View Post
    The main problem with it is density - it's not dense enough to absorb enough sound for use as acoustic treatment. It'll absorb some sound, but ideally you want something more effective for bass trapping/broadband absorption. Higher density rockwool will absorb more sound per panel, up to a point. You'll see 'good acoustic properties' on fibreglass rolls quite often, because as a building material (normally it's sold as loft insulation) it's relatively good, but for acoustic treatment it's not that good at all.

    'Rockwool' is used to refer generally to high density fibreglass wool sheets/mats, like these: 100mm DFM Acoustic Insulation Soundproof Walls
    Both the Rockwool company, and Owens Corning are brand/manufacturer names.

    If Ireland is anything like the UK theyre not as easy to find as in the USA, so the best bet is either online or from a builders merchant.

    Sadly, this stuff costs more than the insulation rolls, so I can't see much of a solution without spending upwards of 50 euros.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me i totally understand now.

    I had no luck today in my local hardware store anyway they were out of stock and aint getting it back in either (the Flexi that is), they're going to deal with a new company that does the same stuff but cheaper (it wont be in stock for a few weeks though).

    So basically the only stuff i can get locally now is(and this was the best deal i found also) 200mm Rockwool RollBatts (or can get that in 150 or 100mm thickness either) all at the same price of €33 per roll

    Am i just better of ordering the RW3 or known as SL930 now which is 60Kg/m3, one of the hardware stores said he might be able to get it in for me(ill know tomorrow)

    Would RW3 do for making everything ?

    Or do i need to use different type's for different pannels ?

    Thanks

    Jay

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    635177
    Quote Originally Posted by MeltdownStudio View Post
    Am i just better of ordering the RW3 or known as SL930 now which is 60Kg/m3, one of the hardware stores said he might be able to get it in for me(ill know tomorrow)

    Would RW3 do for making everything ?

    Or do i need to use different type's for different pannels ?
    Cant say for sure if it's gonna work for everything, but it's the generally accepted standard.

    You can generally use the same stuff for different panels, just thicker for bass traps and broadband absorbers (I doubled or up 100mm rockwool slabs and put them accross the corners of the room as I ran out of money to fill the corners in).

    As a general rule, the thicker the panel, the more low frequencies it will absorb. It'll absorb more of everything actually, but low frequencies are more problematic once you've taken care of early reflections.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wexford,Ireland
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_JW View Post
    Cant say for sure if it's gonna work for everything, but it's the generally accepted standard.

    You can generally use the same stuff for different panels, just thicker for bass traps and broadband absorbers (I doubled or up 100mm rockwool slabs and put them accross the corners of the room as I ran out of money to fill the corners in).

    As a general rule, the thicker the panel, the more low frequencies it will absorb. It'll absorb more of everything actually, but low frequencies are more problematic once you've taken care of early reflections.
    Thanks for your reply,

    I think it all makes sence to me now

    So, if i have this right it goes like this

    A Corner Bass Trap - Is made with Superchunks that are "usually" cut into tri-angles to fit into a corner so you can completely fill the corner floor to ceiling, and the best stuff to use here would be Rockwool RW3 which is 60kg/m3 or something as dense as that ?

    A Bass Trap - Usually a 2x4 Frame with a minimum of 150mm RW3 inside and material to cover it up, and with a 50/100mm gap behind it ?

    A Broadband Absorber - Same as a Bass Trap but can use 100mm instead of 150mm

    A Cloud - Can go a little lighter here (if you want) by using 50mm RW3

    So can you use a Bass Trap at the L/R refelection points ?

    Or have i got this wrong ? Can you use a "Bass Trap" in a corner aswell ( like what you said you didn't fill the corner ) So you just have it sitting into the corner ?

    Sorry for the all the questons im only learning about Acoustics and it takes awhile for it all to sink in before i can get to understand it a bit better.

    Thanks

    Jay
    Last edited by MeltdownStudio; 07-01-2015 at 10:06.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lowell Street Studio, New England
    Posts
    12,213
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 577 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    18632360
    Superchunks inthe corner (triangle) is better than bass traps with corner space behind them - 100mm is OK for broadband/bass traps. 50mm is OK for relection points on side walls and cloud.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rockwool bass traps make my room have MORE bass
    By T800 in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 20:31
  2. bass trap building, R25 roll instead of rockwool or fiberglass panels?
    By rockironwebb in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 12:06
  3. Blow-In Insulation for DIY Bass Traps?
    By Gear_Junky in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 15:34
  4. FS or Trade: OC 703 Rigid Insulation for Bass Traps - Panels
    By matthewmilner in forum Free Ads for Music/Recording Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 16:00
  5. Rockwool - Insulation Type
    By drumbum in forum Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 20:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •