Removable vocal / acoustic recording room

I'm UK too Dave so I know my hardboard ��....my dining room has a wooden floor with only hard furniture within it...thus there's quite a nice reverb to the room but I wonder if its too much and would benefit from a wee bit of dampening

What sounds good to your ears may not sound good when recorded. Standard home construction with gypsum/plaster/sheetrock walls and ceiling produces a slapback echo reverb that is NOT pleasant in recordings.
Before my current recording room, I would use two 4" thick rockwool gobos set up in a V in front of me when recording acoustic guitar - this setup stopped much of the forward sound from bouncing around the room and back into the mic.

"
Is there any benefit to recording acoustic guitar in this ' dampened ' environment in your experiences?"

Possibly not mac'. When you have a 'stuffed' rather dead room as we do it was improved for acoustic guitar by a layer of Hardboard* over the carpet Small room, 12'x12.5'x8.5'.

*Not sure what that is in USA? Brown, 1/8" thick (can be 1/4" but rarer) Has a shiny side and a dull side with minute pimples.

Dave.

It is called Lauan: Access Denied

Mainly used when putting tiles on floors and not to glue to the sub floor wood.

My original post is about something that very much does exist...how fit for purpose that is is debatable and what is being discussed.

I'd imagine the 'only' answer being a dedicated studio / room would be the case if you record for your living...however the vast majority here record as a hobby with various constraints on that whether it being space, time or only a basic grasp of how room acoustics work. Ive posed the question because I like to make small gains where I can and learn as much from folks here with more experience.

I'm UK too Dave so I know my hardboard ?....my dining room has a wooden floor with only hard furniture within it...thus there's quite a nice reverb to the room but I wonder if its too much and would benefit from a wee bit of dampening

My son records classical guitar in a pretty bare flat in Le Havre and we think it sounds good* There is a difference though between recording single instrument in a smallish room and using speakers to monitor larger, complex forces in the same room. Then the problems of uneven bass and stereo imaging obtrude. The latter is a fairly easy fix quite often with attention to the 'Mirror Points'. Bass, a much harder task and really not fixable completely in small rooms.

I would also guess being in UK that your house, like 99.9% of others here, is brick?

*PM me and I can send you some clips attached to an email.

Dave.

Back