recording in my room without waking people up??

PatThe Kid

I want to record in my room and not wake people up. My sister is down the hall and my mom is right above me. I have a folding door if i put that in a corner, covered it with egg crates put some studio foam on the ceiling and wall around me and throw a couple blankets around there, would it lower the noise from leaving my room?? If not what can i do.

Nope. You will be best using guitar amp modelers, headphones and vst instruments through headphones until nobody is home. Nothing easy or cheap will help isolate your room.

Sorry.

Foam will do nothing for anything ever. To isolate your room, your going to need to drop tons of moolah and potentially re build your room. Do what Jimmy says though, that is probably the easiest solution.

Drew

I want to record in my room and not wake people up. My sister is down the hall and my mom is right above me. I have a folding door if i put that in a corner, covered it with egg crates put some studio foam on the ceiling and wall around me and throw a couple blankets around there, would it lower the noise from leaving my room?? If not what can i do.
This is all you would EVER need. Trust me.

Nice! If only there were egg crates in the background with mom screaming "Turn that crap down!".

The only answer is to be quiet in your room I'm afraid.
In practise that means no acoustic instruments, and no singing :(
Monitoring on speakers is possible, but you'll need to keep them really low. Headphones are probably more useful as mentioned by jimmy.

PatThe Kid, it may help to undertsand there are two issues: sound isolation (soundproofing is 100% isolation) and acoustic treatment.

You are asking about sound isolation so that your noise is not heard by others. Rod Gervais quite rightly says that sound isolation is achieved by mass, mass and more mass. That is why others rightly advise that you need to turn your volume down.

Egg crates, foam and blankets would come under the other heading, that of acoustic treatment. However, on a scale of effectiveness, they are right down at the bottom and should be disregarded. As you read up on acoustic treatment you will discover that this topic is about how to help get as accurate sound inside your room for you to hear, and that will depend on the room and how much time and money you want to spend.

On the plus side, and just in case you already got the egg crates: they usually come with eggs, which can be used to make a tasty breakfast, or a frittata.

Want to attenuate sound with egg crates?
Here's the secret: stack them inside each other.
About 400-500 deep MIGHT start blocking sound.....
Otherwise they're pretty much invisible to sound waves.

Do what I do. . . structure your recording time. Although sometimes inspiration strikes at 2am and I wanna start singing the house down I know I cant. So what I do is structure my time around what I can and carn't do. for example. I track Vox and fairly quite instruments that need a silent environment during the day when nobody is in. Then if I need to I track guitars later on where Im using dynamics and I neednt worry about someone shutting a door downstairs. when it gets late evening its time to turn the monitors off and I begin to track or program any MIDI parts or DI guitars do a little editing or maybe spend my time creating a rough mix that I can do properly when I have time during the day.

Back