recording booth tecs.

Jamal

I know their are different kinds of these but ive seen a studio with egg crates instead of the foam and i want to know if this works and when is this kind of stuff needed.In a home studio where its a home studio as in your bedroom with a bed ect. you dont need this stuff right.

[Edited by Jamal on 08-21-2000 at 20:07]

yes and no jamal - it depends on the acoustics of your bedroom. Egg cartons are an old myth - light curtains would do the same - standing a couple of mattresses up against the wall in a corner and recording next to them would help a lot and make you sounds tighter and closer. Have you got a wardrobe full of clothes? - if you sang in there the vocal would be nice and tight.

Cheers
john :D
check out my site on the subject at
http://www.lis.net.au/~johnsay/Acoustics

Did somebody say........ egg crates?

Jamal said:
I know their are different kinds of these but ive seen a studio with egg crates instead of the foam and i want to know if this works and when is this kind of stuff needed.In a home studio where its a home studio as in your bedroom with a bed ect. you dont need this stuff right.

[Edited by Jamal on 08-21-2000 at 20:07]

I really had to reply to this message just because you mentioned egg crates, and if you're just starting out I'd like to head you in the right direction.
Study John's site. Go to http://www.auralex.com and read Acoustics 101. Understand the theory behind how sound works. Understand what the egg crates would be for even if you wanted to use them, which I wouldn't be caught dead using. Realize that egg crates wouldn't give you any sound proofing, but would add a big of diffusion to your room, but not much because they're just all messed up and certain frequencies just pass through them like light through clear glass.
If you're semi serious about obtaining good sound in your room and you're not worried about sound proofing it's not that hard to achieve. Just keep this one theory in mind, and remember it always. In recording (translating) a guitar/instrument/vocals/whatever... you're pretty much looking to take the room out of the equation. You shouldn't let the room you're in effect the sound coming from the source. If you're recording a guitar you want to translate that sound, as it's coming from the speaker, to the recording media, and you don't want the room's natural reverb getting in the way making irritating spikes in the sound.
-Later

Back