*Recording Booth Materials*

BeatMakerVett

ANyone know of any materials that i should build the booth. I want th booth to be 4'X4' at base and height about 7 - 8 Feet. Can someone help me?

I need to know what wood in particular....
How to layer it ..like how to layer it..

Please can someone help me. It will be a blessn :)

BeatMakerVett said:
ANyone know of any materials that i should build the booth. I want th booth to be 4'X4' at base and height about 7 - 8 Feet. Can someone help me?

I need to know what wood in particular....
How to layer it ..like how to layer it..

Please can someone help me. It will be a blessn :)
Ok, number one question. How much isolation do you need? In other words how loud is it on the outside and how much quieter do you need it on the inside (or conversely how loud are you going to be inside the room and how quiet does it need to be on the inside)?

Ther are levels of isolatio that will not be possible with a standalone booth. For example if you want to play drums on the inside and be absolutely silent on the outside you have more of an isolation challenge than can be met with a standalone booth.

Well i want a very very clean recording. The purpose for the booth will be for hiphop and r&b vocals. Its an apartment building thats pretty quiet. I dont want going in or out of the booth. THe only sounds im hearing are from the computer. Not good at all. I was thinking the booth would be 4'Feet around at base. and 7 - 8 feet for the height.

Questions,
When you stand in the very space where you want to build your booth, what are the noises you ear ? Slamming doors? Neighbours? Steps on the floor above? Different noises, different ways of soundproofing.

Also, consider dimensions of 4’ x 5 or 6’ instead of 4’ x 4’ since this ratio will open the door for a “standing wave festival”.

Mike

Agreed on the dimensions. Don't use 4 x 4 x 8. You will have all types of problems. Here is a tested ratio: Height: 1, Width: 1.14, Length: 1.39

So if you have your Height is 7' the ratios would apply as following:

H: 7'
W: (7 x 1.14) = 7.98'
L: (7 x 1.39) = 9.73'

I don't know if you have that type of room but the above ratios will keep standing waves to a minimum.

I'm not sure how to handle small booths.

4 by 5 by 7 are good practical dimensions for a single person booth.

If this is on an upper floor of a wood frame apartment building then getting good isolation is going to take more construction than your landlord is likely to allow and might even run into some structural problems.

Back